FyffesOfficial Sponsor
SbobetDundalk Credit UnionStatsports

Dundalk Fall To Defeat In Donegal

Match Report
// 13 Mar 2017

Dundalk fell to their first defeat of the season as they went down 3-1 to Derry City at Maginn Park on Monday night.

Dane Massey had given the Lilywhites the lead on 15 minutes however Nathan Boyle equalised just on half-time before Barry McNamee and Ryan McBride sealed the points for the Candystripes.

Derry City had the first chance of the game when Harry Monaghan got across Brian Gartland to get on the end of Ronan Curtis’ cross however he could only divert the ball wide of the left hand post.

The champions took over from there and John Mountney raided down the right and won the first of two corners.

The first one Mountney took and it was met by Dane Massey who forced a superb point blank save from Ger Doherty. The ball went out for another corner and from that kick from Mountney once again it was met by Massey who superbly guided the ball to the bottom right corner with a free header.

Dundalk were in control of possession but didn’t look much like extending their lead.

Barry McNamee had a terrific chance to level the scores when Aaron McEneff played an inch perfect pass to Barry McNamee who sprung the offside trap however he turned back into trouble and the chance was loss.

Patrick McEleney had two quickfire efforts to make it 2-0 shortly after as he tried an ambitious effort from close to the halfway line before seeing a shot deflected wide of the target from 12 yards.

Despite seeing most of the possession, Dundalk were to concede an equaliser on the stroke of half-time.

McEneff again found his target as he found Nathan Boyle. He showed terrific footwork to get away from Brian Gartland and then Barrett and slotted the ball  under the on rushing Gabriel Sava.

Dundalk had the first effort of the second half as McEleney ‘s cross from the right was towards Ciaran Kilduff however he couldn’t get a strong enough touch on it.

It was a scrappy contest for the next period with both sides struggling to gain control of the game.

McEleney found space on the left but his cross was straight at Doherty while substitute Thomas Stewart had a superb chance to make it 2-1 when he turned on Gartland’s pass however he fired over the crossbar from the edge of the area.

They were to live to regret that missed chance as the hosts took the lead moments later.

McEneff shot from distance and it looked to be gathered by Sava however he parried into the path of McNamee and he atoned for his error in the opening half by firing to the roof of the net.

Dundalk pushed for an equaliser but McEleney was the main threat, crowded when he got the ball.

Derry City looked the more likely to add to their advantage when Boyle’s snapshot was pushed around the post by Sava.

They did find the net again with just under 10 minutes to go.

Monaghan’s corners caused problems for Sava throughout the evening and this time McBride got across him to finish to the bottom left corner.

McEneff almost made it four seconds later when he caught Sava off his line however the goalkeeper recovered to keep it out.

That proved to be the final action of note as Dundalk never got going with the game finishing 3-1 to Derry.

DERRY CITY: Ger Doherty; Scott Whiteside, Aaron Barry, Ryan McBride (capt), Dean Jarvis; Nicky Low, Harry Monaghan (Joshua Daniels 90), Aaron McEneff,  Barry McNamee; Nathan Boyle (Mikhail Kennedy 90), Ronan Curtis,

Substitutes not used: Rory Holden, Mark Timlin, Ben Doherty, Alon Netzer, Eric Grimes (GK)

Booked: Monaghan (46)

Sent off: None.

DUNDALK: Gabriel Sava; Sean Gannon, Brian Gartland (capt), Paddy Barrett, Dane Massey; Conor Clifford, Robbie Benson; John Mountney (Steven Kinsella 80), Patrick McEleney, Michael Duffy (David McMillan 76); Ciaran Kilduff (Thomas Stewart 61) .

Substitutes not used: Chris Shields,  Jamie McGrath, Niclas Vemmelund, Gary Rogers (GK)

Booked: Kilduff (33)

Sent off: None.

Referee: Paul McLaughlin

Attendance: 1,500