FyffesOfficial Sponsor
SbobetDundalk Credit UnionStatsports

Dundalk Fall To Defeat In The West

Match Report
// 28 Apr 2017

Dundalk fell to defeat on Friday night as they lost 2-1 to Galway United at Eamonn Deacy Park.

Vinny Faherty gave the hosts the lead before David McMillan equalised. Gary Shanahan struck with virtually the final kick of the game to give the Tribesmen the victory.

Dundalk, unchanged from last week’s victory over Bohemians, were dominant in possession early on without creating a clear cut chance. Michael Duffy’s header back across goal from a Dane Massey cross was cleared off the line by Stephen Folan before Massey’s attempted cross ventured further towards goal and almost caught former Lilywhite Conor Winn off guard but he recovered well to claim the ball.

In the next minute, Galway United were ahead. Against the run of play, Ronan Murray broke on the left and his cross was into the box and found the unmarked Vinny Faherty who headed to the bottom right corner.

The champions recovered well though and they responded through Duffy’s shot being charged down by Folan however Jamie McGrath went closest seconds later when he latched onto a clever over the top ball from Stephen O’Donnell and fired a stinging shot inches wide of the right hand post.

The Lilywhites got a deserved leveller on 36 minutes when Brian Gartland took the ball out of the defence without challenge before playing a superb through ball to McMillan. His first touch took him away from the centre-halves and from an acute angle fired a wonderful shot to the bottom left corner past Winn.

That gave Dundalk an extra spring in their step and Chris Shields shot which was charged down and he then created the perfect chance for McGrath to give them the lead.

Dundalk attacked well on the edge of the area and Massey’s cross broke to Shields. His attempted shot was heading wide however it was controlled by McGrath who turned and fired a superb volley however it was expertly tipped over the bar by Winn.

That proved to be the final action of the half with referee Ben Connolly blowing the half-time whistle.

Dundalk started the second half on the front foot with Duffy recovering a Massey cross well and fired it back across goal to the waiting McGrath but he couldn’t get the ball out of his feet and the chance was gone.

McMillan tried to add to his tally but his shot on the edge of the area lacked power and was easily gathered by Winn before the netminder was called into further action when McEleney wheeled away on the edge of the area and curled one towards goal but the goalkeeper was equal to it.

Substitute John Mountney fired wide of the target on the right while fellow replacement Ciaran Kilduff also had a shot on the edge of the area however Winn once again gathered easily.

That was as close as Dundalk came and they were punished for their missed chances in the final minute of stoppage time as a breakaway from Galway saw former Lilywhite Gary Shanahan’s shot deflected to the net.

That was it and the champions fell to their fourth defeat in the first eleven matches.

GALWAY UNITED: Conor Winn; Colm Horgan (capt), Lee Grace, Stephen Folan, Marc Ludden; Gary Shanahan, David Cawley, Gavan Holohan (Paul Sinnott 90), Kevin Devaney; Ronan Murray (Jesse Devers 83), Vinny Faherty (Padraic Cunningham 85).

Substitutes not used:  Alex Byrne,  Conor Melody, Aaron Conway, Ciaran Nugent (GK)

Booked: Cawley (66), Holohan (85)

Sent off: None.

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Niclas Vemmelund (John Mountney 72), Brian Gartland, Sean Hoare, Dane Massey; Chris Shields, Stephen O’Donnell (capt); Michael Duffy, Patrick McEleney, Jamie McGrath (Ciaran Kilduff 79); David McMillan (Thomas Stewart 83).

Substitutes not used: Paddy Barrett, Conor Clifford, Steven Kinsella, Gabriel Sava (GK)

Booked: Shields (75)

Sent off: None.

Attendance: 1,317

Referee: Ben Connolly