FyffesOfficial Sponsor
SbobetDundalk Credit UnionStatsports

Dundalk Return To Winning Ways With Victory At Oriel

Match Report
// 22 Apr 2017

Dundalk returned to winning ways on Friday night as they beat Bohemians 2-0 at Oriel Park.

Goals in either half from David McMillan and Michael Duffy secured the seventh victory of the league season.

Early Goal

Dundalk started on the front foot and took the lead early on. The superb Duffy threaded a ball down the right flank to Patrick McEleney and his cross on the run was onto the head of McMillan who finished to the bottom right corner past the sprawling Shane Supple. Brian Gartland threatened next from Duffy’s corner before McEleney fed his fellow Derry man however Supple did brilliantly to deny the shot in the box. Dane Massey powered forward and unleashed a shot from 30 yards which was parried by the goalkeeper however Lorcan Fitzgerald intervened before Duffy could get a foot to it.

Continuing Pressure

Jamie McGrath was operating on the left for the night and he played a reverse ball in behind for McEleney however his chip was easy for Supple to gather. Fitzgerald’s corner caused momentary panic in the Dundalk defence however they resumed control straight away as Niclas Vemmelund showed his passing ability as he played in the running McMillan however his attempt at adding to his goal tally was snuffed out by Dan Byrne. Massey was on corner duty from the right and his kick was headed towards goal by Sean Hoare however Supple got a hand to it. McEleney created space for himself on the left and stood up a superb cross for Duffy however he could only head wide. Jamie Doyle and Oscar Brennan had efforts for Bohemians to break the Dundalk pressure however they were back defending shortly after when Massey’s corner once again fell to Hoare and he played an outstanding back heel towards goal. It was into the path of McEleney but his snapshot was straight at Supple.

There was one final chance before the break as McEleney once again found his countyman Duffy and the winger created a yard of space for himself before curling a wonderful effort with the outside of his right foot from 25 yards out however Supple got down to save.

Insurance Goal

The champions picked up where they left off in the second half and almost made it 2-0 when captain Stephen O’Donnell’s stinging drive was beaten away by the goalkeeper away to his left while McMillan was left in a heap as he challenged for the ball with Supple. It was 2-0 though with 25 minutes to go. Substitute Steven Kinsella cut in off the left and squared the ball to the central Duffy and he rifled the ball from 25 yards to the bottom left corner leaving Supple with no chance. The second goal gave the Lilywhites the freedom to sit back some what and it allowed Bohs to move forward. Fitzgerald fired a free-kick over the bar from 30 yards and in open play he repeated the trick with 15 minutes left on the watch. Former Dundalk midfielder Keith Ward tried his luck from the edge of the box but it was sent wide and the Gypsies thought that they had secured a consolation goal in injury-time however it was ruled out for a foul on Rogers.

That was to be the final action as referee Paul McLaughlin blew the full-time whistle and the Lilywhites went home happy with a deserved three points.

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Niclas Vemmelund, Brian Gartland, Sean Hoare, Dane Massey; Michael Duffy, Chris Shields, Stephen O’Donnell (Conor Clifford 74), Jamie McGrath (Steven Kinsella 65); Patrick McEleney (Thomas Stewart 86), David McMillan.

Subs not used: Gabriel Sava, Paddy Barrett, John Mountney, Ciaran Kilduff.

Booked: O’Donnell (48).

Sent off: None

BOHEMIANS: Shane Supple; Derek Pender, Rob Cornwall, Dan Byrne, Lorcan Fitzgerald; Paddy Kavanagh, Fuad Sule (Keith Ward 83), Ian Morris, Kaleem Simon; Oscar Brennan, Jamie Doyle (Dean Casey 69).

Substitutes not used: Greg Murray, Dylan Hayes, Philip Gannon, Jamie Hamilton, Steven Nolan.

Booked: Cornwall (2), Sule (70), Brennan (73).

Sent off: None.

Referee: Paul McLaughlin

Attendance: 2,848