FyffesOfficial Sponsor
SbobetDundalk Credit UnionStatsports

Report: Lilywhites Advance To Last 8.

Match Report
// 10 Feb 2017

Dundalk advanced to the quarter-finals of the Leinster Senior Cup on Thursday night with a 4-2 victory over St. Patrick’s CY in Ringsend.

Goals from Carlton Ubaezuono, Patrick McEleney as well as a brace from Ciaran Kilduff were enough for the win in Dublin 4.

It was a quiet opening to the game with the only notable action the change in goal for the Lilywhites as Gary Rogers went off after  with a calf injury four minutes to be replaced by Gabriel Sava.

The first effort on goal came from centre-half Paddy Barrett around the 20 minute mark when he shot from 30 yards however the ball was deflected into the arms of goalkeeper Coffey.

Conor Clifford’s corner was headed towards goal by Barrett but Coffey was once again equal to it.

Patrick McEleney was emerging as the star as the show and he had two quickfire efforts as the game approached the half hour mark.

First the Derry man jinked past three defenders before firing wide of the target and then he almost scored with a superb chip however the ball sailed just wide of the post.

The lead goal came 37 minutes in when some terrific interplay between McEleney and Ciaran Kilduff saw the latter lay the ball into the path of Carlton Ubaezuono who calmly fired to the bottom left corner of the net.

Having led at the break, Dundalk went in search of the second goal as Thomas Walsh stopped John Mountney’s header in the six yard area while full back Sean Gannon shot from distance however he fired well wide.

It was 2-0 just before the hour mark when Ubaezuono broke at pace and he set McEleney away on the left. He dodged two tackles before crossing for Kilduff and his shot at goal was helped to the net by the goalkeeper.

The two goal advantage didn’t last long though as former Lilywhite David Cassidy pulled one back when he fired to the net after a ball across the face of goal wasn’t dealt with.

Dundalk responded through McEleney shooting wide but it was 3-1 shortly after with Kilduff bagging his second of the night.

Sava played the ball forward and it was headed on by Barrett to McEleney. His inch perfect through ball allowed Kilduff to beat the offside trap and he expertly slotted the ball home to the right corner.

Clifford flashed an effort wide from Barrett’s knock on before Pat’s got back in the game once more.

Sava’s attempted clearance went straight to Dean Gannon and his lob went over the back pedaling goalkeeper to the net.

They never looked like equalising though and Dundalk added their fourth in the final minute of the 90 when the outstanding McEleney capped his performance with a goal.

His mazy run downt he left saw him take the ball wide of the defenders and the goal before he fired from the acutest of angles to finish the scoring at 4-2.

The win sees the 2015 winners book their spot in the last 8 on a chilly night at the Irishtown Stadium.

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers (Gabriel Sava 4); Sean Gannon, Paddy Barrett, Niclas Vemmelund, Dane Massey; Conor Clifford, Keith Dalton (Jake O’Connor 75), John Mountney; Patrick McEleney (Jack O’Keefe 90), Carlton Ubaezuono; Ciaran Kilduff.

Substitutes not used: Dean Watters, James Rice, Emmet Hughes.