FyffesOfficial Sponsor
SbobetDundalk Credit UnionStatsports

U17s | DFC 3-1 Shelbourne

Match Report
// 16 Jul 2017

Our U17s recorded a three one victory over Shelbourne at Oriel Park on Sunday afternoon thanks to a double from Kevin Kelly and a solitary strike from skipper Mark Traynor.

As has been the case in the past few games, the young Lilywhites began the game on the front foot and created a number of chances- the best of which fell to the excellent Luke Gorham whose pace saw him latch on to a long ball only to shoot narrowly wide. Liam Burns’ men were indebted to their netminder a few minutes later as Shelbourne’s Jordan Adeyemo, who showed great promise throughout, forced a wonderful save from Odumsu to keep the game scoreless. However, this wasn’t to last as the away side came out on top in the next exchange between the players- this time Adeyemo side footed the ball beyond the keeper to open the scoring  following a left wing cross.

The lead didn’t last for long as Dundalk’s former Malahide United midfield maestro Kevin Kelly cut in from the right hand side of the pitch before bending a left footed effort into the top corner of the net to tie up the game. He repeated the dose a short time later to give his side the upper hand in an open an enthralling first half. On this occasion the effort originated with a feint to the defender on the opposite side of the pitch before, once more, finding the top corner of the net. Dundalk a most extended their lead before half time but Gorham’s clever lobbed effort drifted wide.

Half-time: Dundalk FC 2 Shelbourne 1

The second half began with the away side piling on the pressure with Adeyemo featuring prominently once more. Indeed, they were unlucky not to equalise as a close range effort was hooked over the bar.

Having been involved in extra time last week against Bohemians and playing with a reduced panel of late, the Louth men found the going tough at times in the heat. In spite of this they increased their lead through captain Mark Traynor. Following some excellent link up play between Neill Kerr and Jamie Wynne the latter was fouled and Luke Byrne stepped up to take the free kick wide on the right. His pinpoint delivery was met by a bullet header from the centre back to move the lead out to two.

Following this, once more the home side sat back and both sides saw a number of half chances in what was an entertaining half of football. In the end the home side emerged victorious to continue their good run of form.

Final score: Dundalk FC 3 Shelbourne 1

Speaking to dundalkfc.com after the game, manager Liam Burns said, “After going one nil down, we were delighted with the response from the players on a warm day. We showed good spirit and determination and we’re on a bit of a roll at the moment.”


Dundalk FC- David Odumsu; Neil Kerr, Luke Doherty, Mark Traynor, Luke Byrne; Dylan Tighe, Chris Mc Fadden, Adam Kirwan; Jamie Wynne, Kevin Kelly, Luke Gorham

Substitutes- Uli Keller, Mark Kilgallon, Jamie Browne

Shelbourne FC- Jordan Walker; Evan Clifford, Dylan Connolly, Adam Mc Caul, Kevin Mc Evoy, Jordan Carroll, Kian Delaney, Marcel Kuty, Jordan Adeyemo, Sonny Conway, Michael O’ Keane