FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Bohemians 1-4 Dundalk FC

Match Report
// 21 Nov 2020

Dundalk are one win away from yet another FAI Cup final appearance after producing one of their best performances of the season to beat Bohemians 4-1 at Dalymount Park on Friday night.

Michael Duffy put the Lilywhites in front after just two minutes. Six passes was all it took for the ball to move from back to front and when David McMillan slipped the winger through, he made no mistake with a cool finish past James Talbot.

Dundalk looked bright and inventive going forward and Daniel Cleary headed over after finding space from a Stefan Colovic free-kick before the natives equalised in the 11th minute when Andre Wright squeezed a penalty past Gary Rogers after Chris Shields was penalised for a handball.

Chris Shields handles the ball in the area resulting in a Bohemians penalty during the Extra.ie FAI Cup Quarter-Final match at Dalymount Park in Dublin. Photo by Stephen McCarthy/Sportsfile

Filippo Giovagnoli’s men responded in style by going ahead in the 35th minute when McMillan beat Talbot with his third penalty in the past three games after Duffy was bundled over in the box by Keith Buckley following a beautiful turn of direction.

The Lilywhites striker added a second just four minutes later, darting to the near post to head a pinpoint delivery from man of the match Cameron Dummigan past Talbot and Colovic should have increased the lead even further but he could only guide a free header over the crossbar.

Bohs, who felt that the ball had crossed the byline before Dummigan delivered McMillan’s second goal, almost pulled one back before the interval but Andy Boyle made a stunning goal-line clearance to deny Wright and maintain Dundalk’s two-goal advantage.

David McMillan shoots to score his side’s second goal, a penalty, during the Extra.ie FAI Cup Quarter-Final match at Dalymount Park in Dublin. Photo by Ben McShane/Sportsfile

Boyle’s fellow defenders, Brian Gartland and Cleary were in formidable form in the second half, keeping Bohs at arm’s length and behind them, Gary Rogers was on hand to make a stunning triple save, denying Dan Casey first of all and then Evan Ferguson on two occasions!!

John Mountney was introduced for his 300th appearance for the club while Patrick McEleney and Daniel Kelly also made a welcome return from injury in the latter stages and after Bohs were reduced to ten-men following the dismissal of Michael Barker, substitute Nathan Oduwa capped a wonderful night with his first goal for the club.

Dundalk will now face first division side Athlone Town in the semi-final on Sunday, November 29th. A win will see them book their place in the final at the Aviva Stadium for the sixth successive season.

Nathan Oduwa scores Dundalk’s fourth goal during the Extra.ie FAI Cup Quarter-Final match at Dalymount Park in Dublin. Photo by Stephen McCarthy/Sportsfile

BOHEMIANS: James Talbot; Michael Barker, Dan Casey, Rob Cornwall, Paddy Kirk; Keith Buckley, Conor Levingston (Jack Moylan 66); Promise Omochere (Evan Ferguson 56), Dawson Devoy, Danny Grant; Andre Wright. Subs not used: Stephen McGuinness (GK), JJ Lunney, Keith Ward, James Finnerty, Ross Tierney.

DUNDALK FC: Gary Rogers;  Brian Gartland, Andy Boyle, Daniel Cleary;  Sean Gannon (John Mountney 71), Greg Sloggett, Chris Shields, Cameron Dummigan (Daniel Kelly 79);  Stefan Colovic (Patrick McEleney 71), David McMillan (Nathan Oduwa 85), Michael Duffy. Subs not used: Aaron McCarey (GK), Jordan Flores,  Jamie Wynne.

REFEREE: Rob Harvey.