FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Derry City 1-2 Dundalk!

First Team News
// 27 May 2014

Dundalk were 2-1 winners at the Brandywell on Tuesday night as they defeated Derry City in the quarter-finals!

Goals from David McMillan and Kurtis Byrne gave Dundalk a 2-0 lead before a thunderbolt from Patrick McEleney gave Derry City some hope however the resilient Lilywhites held out to book their place in the semi-finals!

It was a scrappy opening with both sides struggling in position but Dundalk had the first chance when a ball from Mark Griffin found David McMillan but his tame effort was straight at Ciaran Gallagher in goal.

Derry City began to press and created their first opportunity when Barry McNamee’s pull back got to Raymond Foy but his shot was easily dealt with by Gabriel Sava. Danny Ventre then shot wide from distance shortly afterwards.

On 20 minutes, Keith Ward had a shot hit the wall before the Lilywhites took the lead. A poor pass from the Candystripes Dean Jarvis was picked up by Ciaran O’Connor. He ran towards the corner and played an inch perfect pass to McMillan.

After some quick feet, the striker looked up and struck an unstoppable left footed effort to the top right corner past Gallagher from the edge of the box.

Dundalk led 1-0 at the interval and Derry City upped the urgency in the second half with Dean Jarvis shooting well over from distance.

A ball from Barry McNamee found Rory Patterson but he wasn’t able to convert. On 65 minutes Patterson had a brilliant chance to level the match when Danny Ventre’s ball found the forward but Gabriel Sava was out well to block.

Dundalk weathered the storm and slightly against the run of play doubled their advantage on 75 minutes when McMillan dispossessed Jarvis who got back well to block but the ball fell to substitute Kurtis Byrne who teed himself up nicely before firing low past Gallagher in the Derry City goal.

The Lilywhites seemed content with their 2 goal lead and the hosts grabbed a lifeline with 5 minutes remaining as they took advantage of the visitors sloppiness. Patrick McEleney picked the ball up from Ventre and he unleashed a rasping shot from 25 yards which flew to the net giving Sava no chance.

They piled on the pressure and McEleney had a shot blocked from distance before a world class save from Sava as he tipped a thunderous Josh Tracey shot over the bar in injury-time.

Despite the late pressure, Dundalk emerged victorious and advanced to the last four for the first time since 2010!

DERRY CITY: Ciaran Gallagher; Roddy Collins, Dean Jarvis, Barry McEleney, Tony McNamee(Josh Tracey 62); Barry McNamee(Michael Duffy 77), Raymond Foy(Patrick McEleney 58) , Danny Ventre, Ryan Curran, Aaron Barry; Rory Patterson.

Substitutes not used: Nathan Boyle, Patrick McEleney, Michael Duffy, John Paul McGovern, Lee Toland, Ger Doherty (GK)

Booked: None.

Sent off: None.

DUNDALK: Gabriel Sava; Georgie Poynton, Simon Kelly, Mark Rossiter, Manuel Kaguako; Ruaidhri Higgins, Conor McDonald; Ciaran O’Connor(Kurtis Byrne 60), Keith Ward (John Mountney 60), Mark Griffin(Paul Finnegan 90); David McMillan.

Substitutes not used: Marfide Matondo, John Mountney, Kurtis Byrne, Anto Reilly, Peter Cherrie (GK)

Booked: Kelly (55)

Sent off: None.

Referee: Dave McKeon.