FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Derry City 2-0 Dundalk: Report

First Team News
// 8 Apr 2011

Two goals in a five-minute spell past the half-hour mark from Gareth McGlynn and Eamon Zayed condemned Dundalk to a disappointing 2-0 defeat by Derry City at The Brandywell on Friday night, as the Lilywhites remain without a point on the road this season. Dundalk made the trip north in confident mood after back-to-back wins over UCD and Cliftonville, but they never got out of the traps here, with Derry earning a well deserved three points. McGlynn broke the deadlock on 31 minutes when he fired home from the edge of the box, and the advantage was doubled shortly after when Zayed found the net from close range, two strikes which Dundalk never looked like recovering from.

One change
Dundalk manager Ian Foster made one change to the team that put wins together the previous weekend as Dean Bennett returned following a five-match absence through a hamstring injury. He replaced Keith Ward in midfield. But it was the home side that started the brighter, Ruaidhri Higgins seeing his 25-yard effort tipped wide by Peter Cherrie in the opening moments. Before the quarter-hour mark, Zayed teed up McGlynn whose shot went narrowly over the bar. Dundalk did little to threaten Gerard Doherty’s goal in the opening exchanges, and it was Derry that caused problems again on 24 minutes when James McClean did well down the left, his low delivery deflected wide, with centre-half Stewart Greacen heading the resulting corner wide. On the half-hour mark, Bennett and Jason Byrne combined on the right, the latter’s cross falling to Ross Gaynor in a central position just inside the box but his shot was blocked.

Double trouble
Derry took the lead just past the half hour. Patrick McEleney passed to McGlynn inside the box and he cut inside before drilling a low shot to the bottom corner which was too hot to handle for Cherrie. Moments later, after McClean’s tame shot moments was into the arms of Cherrie, Dundalk tried to respond with Daniel Kearns raiding forward and laying off to Gaynor whose shot, off balance, went wide of goal. The home side made it 2-0 on 36 minutes. Daniel Lafferty crossed from the left, with McClean’s touch looking like it was going wide only for Zayed to toe-poke in from close range. They could have made it three on 42 minutes but Cherrie produced a fine save from a left-footed curling shot from McGlynn, the Scot getting across well to push the effort away. Before the break, Dundalk went close to reducing the deficit with their first shot on target, but Doherty pushed Gaynor’s powerful drive from the edge of the box over the bar, with Kearns’ resulting corner the last kick of the half.

Cherrie stop
The first chance of the second half did not arrive until 59 minutes, when McGlynn’s cross from the right was curling into Cherrie’s top corner but he did well to push it onto the bar. Moments later, captain Kevin Deery drove a shot from distance into the arms of the Scottish ‘keeper. On 70 minutes, Dundalk had their first effort on goal of the second period when Gaynor’s cross from the left found Byrne in the box, and at the second attempt he got a shot away but Doherty gathered with ease. Four minutes later, Derry could have extended their advantage when Zayed laid off to the in-rushing Deery and his powerful shot from just outside the box went narrowly over Cherrie’s bar. The hosts went close to another late on but Dundalk’s No1 did well to cut out McClean’s cross from the by-line on the left, before the visitors tried to get back into it, but Doherty proved equal to Byrne’s shot before Mark Quigley fired wide. At the other end, Zayed should have made it 3-0 on 89 minutes but after meeting a Deery cross he headed straight at Cherrie.

DERRY CITY FC: Gerard Doherty, Eddie McCallion, Stewart Greacen, Shane McEleney, Daniel Lafferty, Gareth McGlynn, Kevin Deery ©, Ruaidhri Higgins, James McClean, Eamon Zayed, Patrick McEleney (Stephen McLaughlin 73).
Goals: G McGlynn (31), E Zayed (36).
Booked: S Greacen (62).
Unused Subs: Eugene Ferry (GK), Emmet Friars, Ruairí Harkin, David McDaid, Thomas McBride, Michael McCrudden.

DUNDALK FC: Peter Cherrie, Simon Madden ©, Colin Hawkins, Shane Guthrie, Nathan Murphy, Dean Bennett, Stephen McDonnell (Keith Ward 76), Daniel Kearns, Mark Quigley, Ross Gaynor, Jason Byrne.
Booked: None.
Unused Subs: Paul Murphy (GK), Michael Hector, Mark Griffin, Johnny Breen.

Referee: Damien Hancock (Dublin).