FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Dundalk 8-1 Waterford

First Team News
// 14 Feb 2016

Dundalk continued their pre-season schedule on Tuesday evening and recorded an 8-1 victory over Waterford United at Oriel Park.

Dundalk took the lead after just four minutes when Darren Meenan’s corner wasn’t cleared by the Waterford United defence and it fell to Waterord native Paddy Barrett. He controlled the all brilliantly and unleashed a ferocious strike to the top left corner.

It was 2-0 five minutes later as Meenan fired home from 12 yards after a terrific cross from Patrick McEleney as he raced to the byline past Dean Reidy.

Ronan Finn tried his luck from distance which went wide before Chris Shields played a neat one-two with David McMillan but his shot from a tight angle went narrowly wide.

With almost 27 minutes on the watch it was 3 when Finn shot from distance once again however his shot was parried into the path of Stephen O’Donnell and he slotted him first time from 6 yards.

McEleney drew a free-kick on 35 minutes and he left the ball to Finn. Just inside the ‘D’, he curled the ball beautifully to the bottom right corner of the net with the aid of the goalkeeper’s left hand to make it 4-0.

Philly Gorman broke the Dundalk dominance and wrangled some space for himself but his effort was well blocked b Andy Boyle.

Youngster Georgie Poynton got in on the act just before the break when he finished from close range following a superb counter attack which finished off with McEleney finding the Ireland U19 captain and he found the corner.

With it 5-0 at the break, the Lilywhites showed no signs of letting up and Finn grabbed his second of the night with a deft back post header in the 47th minute.

Meenan then came so close to adding to his goal and his curling effort beat goalkeeper Birdsall but smashed off the crossbar with Daryl Horgan blasting the rebound over the bar.

Waterford did pull a goal back though just before the hour mark and it was one to rival Barrett’s opener as goal of the night. Aaron O’Connor picked the ball up from David O’Leary 30 yards from the Dundalk goal and he spotted Gabriel Sava just off his line. He unleashed a piledriver to the top right corner which left the goalkeeper with no chance.

Finn then turned provider as he picked up the ball around 40 yards from goal and he beat 4 defenders before squaring the all across the box to striker Ciaran Kilduff who had the easiest of tap ins to make it 7-1.

The front man had two golden opportunities to make it 8 when first he got on the end of a terrific Horgan cross but blazed over from 12 yards before he got on the end of an outstanding through ball from the winger however he fired into the side netting from an acute angle.

Barrett headed just over the bar from a Horgan corner before Kilduff did manage to get that eighth goal on the night and his second when in a goal similar to his first of the evening, he latched onto a Sean Gannon cross after the latter went on a mazy run.

That proved to be the final action of note as referee Tomas Connolly blew the full-time whistle.

DUNDALK: Gabriel Sava; Georgie Poynton, Paddy Barrett, Andy Boyle, Dane Massey; Chris Shields, Stephen O’Donnell; Darren Meenan, Ronan Finn, Patrick McEleney; David McMillan.

Substitutes used: Sean Gannon, Daryl Horgan, Ciaran Kilduff, John Mountney, Robbie Benson.

Substitutes not used: Gary Rogers (GK)

Booked: None.

Sent off: None.

WATERFORD UNITED: Robert Birdsall; Dean Reidy, Sean Byrne, Shane Mackey, Sean Byrne; Aaron O’Connor, David O’Leary, Thomas Clarke, Anthony McAlevey; Dean Broaders, Yohan Fellrath.

Substitutes used: Dean Broaders, Ray Butler, Jake Mooney, Emmet Coakley, David Osario, Richie Tobin, Dylan McGuire, Robbie Buckley.

Substitutes not used: Gary Chambers (GK)

Booked: None.

Sent off: None

Referee: Tomas Connolly