FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Dundalk Advance To Last 8

First Team News
// 2 Apr 2019

Dundalk made it through to the last 8 of the EA SPORTS Cup on Monday evening with a 2-1 win over St. Patrick’s Athletic.

First half goals from Georgie Kelly and Dean Jarvis were enough to seal the win at Richmond Park. James Doona had levelled for Pat’s however it was the Lilywhites who advanced.

Dundalk were in front inside 10 minutes when a mistake from Dave Webster allowed Georgie Kelly to run on to the ball and he got one on one with Barry Murphy. He showed good composure to shoot and despite the best efforts of the goalkeeper, the ball crept home.

It was almost 2-0 moments later when John Mountney played a wonderful cross from the left and found the awaiting Jordan Flores. His almost perfect header was excellently saved by Murphy who tipped out for a corner.

From the corner, the ball broke to Flores again however after some quick feet, his volleyed effort went wide.

It would be 1-1 in the 13th minute when James Doona cut in off the left past Cameron Dummigan and fired from just outside the area. It caught everyone out and nestled in the bottom left corner.

Former Lilywhite Conor Clifford had two quickfire efforts to get on the scoresheet – catching both on the volley.

The first was a superb effort from 25 yards which almost caught McCarey off guard however he brilliantly pushed it around the post while the second was on the stretch however it was well wide.

The Lilywhites went in front just after the half hour mark.

Dummigan got forward and forced a corner on the right. Flores whipped a wonderful cross into the six yard area for the waiting Dean Jarvis to power home.

It was a fairly scrappy second half with neither side creating a chance of any description until 20 minutes left on the watch.

A wonderful one touch passing move saw Joe McKee lay it off to Flores and his through ball found Georgie Kelly and his shot looked destined for the net however Murphy expertly tipped it onto the post.

The Saints pushed for a leveller but it never came and it was substitute Chris Forrester who came closest – twice firing but with just one shot straight at McCarey.

That was the final action of a rainy evening in Dublin as Dundalk booked their quarter-final place.

ST.PATRICK’S ATHLETIC: Barry Murphy; Simon Madden (capt), Ciaran Kelly (Ian Bermingham 79), David Webster, Lee Desmond; Darragh Markey (Mikey Drennan 74), James Doona, Cian Coleman; Dean Clarke (Chris Forrester 46), Conor Clifford; Gary Shaw.

Substitutes not used: Brendan Clarke (GK), Jamie Lennon, Rhys McCabe, Jake Walker

Booked: None.

Sent off: None.

DUNDALK: Aaron McCarey; Cameron Dummigan, Daniel Cleary, Dylan Hand Dean Jarvis; Joe McKee, Jordan Flores (Dane Massey 89); John Mountney (capt), Mark Hanratty (Daniel Kelly 62), Lido Lotefa (Sean Gannon 76); Georgie Kelly.

Substitutes not used: Ross Treacy (GK), Brian Gartland, Patrick Hoban, Cian Lee.

Booked: Jarvis (70), G. Kelly (76)

Sent off: None.

Referee: Rob Harvey