FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Dundalk Claim Hard Fought Win In Waterford

First Team News
// 20 Sep 2019

It was a hard fought win however Dundalk were 1-0 winners over Waterford on Friday night at the RSC.

Daniel Kelly’s 38th minute strike proved to be the crucial blow as Vinny Perth’s men took all three points from the south east.

Waterford had the better of the opening with Michael O’Connor getting through on goal from Tom Holland’s ball over the top however Gary Rogers did well to save from close range.

Some good play saw O’Connor get in again however he sliced his effort wide from outside the box.

Dundalk began to get a foothold in the game after that with Patrick Hoban shooting from a free-kick but despite it being turned around the post by Matt Connor, the referee gave a goal kick.

Michael Duffy broke through and fired over with the winger then supplying Daniel Kelly however as he shot goalwards, it was blocked by Rory Feely and into the arms of Connor.

The lead goal came on 38 minutes when Hoban disposessed Rob Slevin on the left and despite the appeals of the home side for a foul, he carried on and laid it off to Daniel Kelly who expertly finished to the net.

Dundalk had the better of the opening exchanges in the second half when Duffy’s corner was nodded just wide by Dean Jarvis at the near post.

The Lilywhites had two further chances through Duffy with both being deflected wide and he turned provider for Daniel Kelly but his effort was scrambled away from point blank range.

Benson fired over from distance before substitute for Waterford Walter Figueira almost got through on goal however at the vital moment he lost control of the ball.

There were few chances after that and that was just after the hour mark.

It all livened up as we approached the 90 minutes with Patrick McEleney shooting from the edge of the area but Connor denied him and then at the other end, Shane Duggan forced a good save from Rogers.

Dean O’Halloran also forced a good save from Rogers while Duffy looked destined to score but Connor denied him brilliantly.

That would be the final action of note and after four stoppage time minutes referee Derek Tomney blew the full-time whistle which saw the Lilywhites take a giant step towards retaining the title.

WATERFORD: Matthew Connor; Rob Slevin, Sam Bone, Rory Feely (capt), Kevin Lynch; Tom Holland, Georgie Poynton, Tom Holland (Shane Duggan 65), JJ Lunney (Dean O’Halloran 79); Cory Galvin (Walter Figuiera 60), Zack Elbouzedi; Michael O’Connor.

Substitutes not used: Maxi Kouogun, Dean Walsh, Darragh Power, Paul Martin (GK)

Booked: Feely (30), O’Connor (78), Lynch (83)

Sent off:

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Daniel Cleary, Andy Boyle, Dean Jarvis; Chris Shields, Robbie Benson (Sean Murray 85); Daniel Kelly (Patrick McEleney 79), Jamie McGrath, Michael Duffy; Patrick Hoban (Georgie Kelly 89)

Substitutes not used: Sean Hoare, Dane Massey,, Cameron Dmmigan, Aaron McCarey (GK)

Booked: Jarvis (46)

Sent off:

Referee: Derek Tomney

Attendance: 989