FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Dundalk Defeat Waterford At Oriel

Match Report
// 21 May 2018

Dundalk made it four wins on the spin as they were 2-0 winners over Waterford at Oriel Park on Monday night!

Goals in either half from Robbie Benson and Marco Tagbajumi were enough to seal the win as the Lilywhites maintained their two point lead at the top of the SSE Airtricity League table.

Dundalk started the brighter of the teams and were dominant for the opening stages. Daniel Cleary saw his header tipped just wide from Michael Duffy’s free-kick before Brian Gartland then had another chance from a header but he could only direct it wide.

Duffy turned then gave it to Patrick Hoban and his shot on the turn was just over the bar from the edge of the area and Jamie McGrath was next when he headed just over the bar from another Robbie Benson cross.

Cleary again had a header but it was blocked into the path of Vigouroux while Chris Shields saw the pitch open up for him and he struck from distance however it was easy for the goalkeeper.

Bastian Hery had the first effort of the night for Waterford but he sent it well wide from the edge of the area.

Vigouroux was called into action once again when Benson teed up Duffy 30 yards from goal and he unleashed a superb shot however it was tipped over the bar brilliantly by the goalkeeper.

Paul Keegan saw his free-kick hit the Dundalk wall from 20 yards but at the other end Hoban looked like he had a golden chance to give the home side the lead when Benson played him in but Kenny Browne got down well to block the striker’s shot.

Dundalk would get the lead goal that they deserved though in the 39th minute when Benson’s corner was only cleared as far as Duffy and between him and Shields they got the ball to Benson who had got free in the box and he rifled the ball to the roof of the net.

Waterford almost responded immediately when Sander Puri, who had come in for the injured Paul Keegan, forced Gary Rogers into a smart save down to his right to push the ball wide for a corner.

Dundalk should have doubled their advantage straight after the re-start when Dylan Connolly did well down the right and he pulled it back for Hoban however he blazed it over the bar from inside the box.

Puri had a shot blocked by Rogers from the edge of the area before Gavan Holohan had the best chance for Waterford to equalise however his shot from the edge of the area after he dispossessed Hoare was just over the bar.

Dundalk launched a classic counter attack when Hery’s ball was cleared however Duffy got free and was through on goal however his shot was straight at Vigouroux who went down well to save from close range.

Rory Feely looked like he had the perfect chance to level it for the Blues however he glanced wide from six yards out after connecting with Faysel Kasmi’s free-kick.

Feely then found himself in behind and got beyond Rogers in the box however referee Robert Hennessy rightly waved away protests for a penalty.

Waterford looked like they had equalised in the 90th minute when Puri found himself in space on 30 yards from goal and he let fly however he somehow struck the inside of the post and it bounced clear.

The visitors were launching another attack however Duffy dispossessed Browne in his own half and raced through on goal. He squared for Tagbajumi who slotted into the net past Vigouroux to seal a 2-0 victory for the Lilywhites.

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Sean Hoare, Brian Gartland, Dane Massey (Dean Jarvis 46); Chris Shields, Robbie Benson; Dylan Connolly (Krisztián Adorján 65), Jamie McGrath, Michael Duffy; Patrick Hoban (Marco Tagbajumi 80).

Substitutes not used: Gabriel Sava (GK), Stephen Folan, Georgie Poynton, Ronan Murray.

Booked: Shields (67), Tagbajumi (73)

Sent off: None.

WATERFORD: Lawrence Vigourous; Rory Feely, Kenny Browne, David Webster, Dylan Barnett; Paul Keegan (capt)(Sander Puri 34), Bastian Hery, John Martin (Derek Daly 74), Gavan Holohan; Ismahil Akinade, Dean O’Halloran (Faysel Kasmi 58).

Substitutes not used: Niall Corbet (GK), Colm Whelan, Justin Croke, Dean Walsh.

Booked: Feely (62)

Sent off: None.

Attendance: 2,041

Referee: Robert Hennessy.