FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Dundalk Denied At The Death

First Team News
// 5 Jul 2019

Dundalk were denied at the death by Derry City in an entertaining 2-2 draw at the Brandywell.

David Parkhouse gave Derry City a half-time lead however a second half double from Georgie Kelly and Patrick Hoban had put Dundalk in front before Junior secured a point for the hosts.

Dundalk and Andy Boyle almost made the perfect start when Michael Duffy’s corner found his head however it was straight at Peter Cherrie after just four minutes.

Patrick McEleney was next when he teed up from 30 yards after a quick Robbie Benson free-kick however it dipped just over the bar.

It was almost all Dundalk for the first 20 minutes and Duffy and McEleney combined brilliantly with the latter sending a tantalising ball across the six yard area however there was no one there to finish.

The home side began to see more of the ball after that and Jamie McDonagh forced Gary Rogers to punch clear before he recovered well to smother the ball at Greg Sloggett’s feet.

Georgie Kelly looked like he had the perfect chance to give Dundalk the lead however his effort from Sean Gannon’s cross was blocked brilliantly by Ally Gilchrist.

Kelly again had a chance when his header was straight at Cherrie and Duffy then had a go from distance however it flew over the bar.

Derry took the lead just before half-time when Chris Shields was dispossessed in the box and David Parkhouse finished brilliantly past Rogers.

The Lilywhites upped the temp immediately after the break and had a goal disallowed when Duffy rose highest at the back post however Kelly touched it on the way through and he was in an offside position.

Dundalk were pressing and the equaliser came in the 57th minute when Shields burst forward brilliantly and his cross was deflected into the path of Kelly who rifled it to the net.

Duffy fired over from a free-kick before substitute Patrick Hoban forced a wonderful save from Cherrie as he headed Gannon’s cross goalwards however the goalkeeper recovered to tip over the bar.

Duffy then latched onto a wonderful reverse ball from Jamie McGrath however Cherrie was out early to save.

Duffy’s clever corner found Daniel Cleary at the back post but he had no power in it and it was straight at Cherrie as the game entered the closing stages.

The game looked up for the Lilywhites however in the 90th minute the champions struck.

Duffy’s corner found the forehead of Hoban and he powered it to the net to give the Lilywhites the lead.

That looked to have settled it however the Candystripes equalised in the 95th minute when Junior headed a corner past Rogers to claim a point.

DERRY CITY: Peter Cherrie; Jamie McDonagh, Eoin Toal, Ally Gilchrist, Ciaran Coll; Barry McNamee (Gerard Bruna 83), Ciaron Harkin, Greg Sloggett, Darren McCauley (Darren Cole 66); Junior Ogedi-Ozokwe, David Parkhouse (Conor Davis 73).

Substitutes not used: Nathan Gartside (GK), Mark McChrystal, Aidy Delap, Eoghan Stokes, Darren Cole, Conor Davis.

Booked: McDonagh (10), Harkin (54)

Sent off: None.

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Daniel Cleary, Andy Boyle, Dean Jarvis; Chris Shields, Robbie Benson (Jamie McGrath 68); John Mountney (Daniel Kelly 78), Patrick McEleney, Michael Duffy; Georgie Kelly (Patrick Hoban 68).

Substitutes not used: Aaron McCarey (GK), Brian Gartland, Dane Massey, Cameron Dummigan.

Booked: Jarvis (45)

Sent off: None.

Referee: Paul McLaughlin