FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Dundalk and Derry Play Out Thrilling Draw

Match Report
// 2 Oct 2016

Dundalk and Derry City played out a 2-2 draw at Oriel Park on Sunday afternoon in a thrilling Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup semi-final.

Dean Shiels and Ciaran Kilduff had put Dundalk ahead in the first half however a second half double from Rory Patterson and Ronan Curtis pegged the game back for Derry and sent the tie to a replay.

It was Derry City who had the first chance of the game when Barry McNamee’s cross was onto the head of Patterson who knocked it goalwards but it was saved by Gabriel Sava who pushed it wide of the post.

It was 1-0 to Dundalk after 21 minutes when a superb darting run forward from Alan Keane who skipped past three Derry City players before playing a superb cross to the waiting Dean Shiels who headed home but suffered an arm injury in the process.

That seemed to settle some early nerves for the hosts and they were in control now with substitute Patrick McEleney pulling the strings and he tried to find Kilduff however a brilliant covering header from McDermott cleared the danger.

Aaron McEneff had a chance to equalise with half an hour gone however his low drive was fired wide of the target.

It was 2-0 on the stroke of half-time when another superb ball from McEleney was into the path of Kilduff and he controlled well before catching the ball ont he volley and sending it past Doherty to the net.

The second half began with Nathan Boyle firing straight at Sava from close range while Kilduff had a chance of a third when McEleney found him once more but his header was off the post.

Stephen O’Donnell  was next to have a chance when he struck just wide of the post when Shields played him in and they were left to rue that miss moments later.

McEneff picked the ball up on the edge of the area and he turned before shooting at Sava who could only parry into the path of Patterson and he tapped into an empty net.

Kilduff looked to be fouled by Jarvis but the referee waved play on while McNamee brought a superb save out of Sava as his shot was clawed away by the net minder.

Derry City made their pressure tell with five minutes remaining when Jarvis’ long ball over the top to Ronan Curtis was taken inside by the striker and he turned Keane before firing a low shot past the reach of Sava in goal.

McMillan almost put the Lilywhites in front again however his header was just wide of the target.

Mountney had a chance to win it at the death as he connected with a McEleney cross however he skied the shot.

The match ended in a draw and the replay is on Tuesday evening at the Brandywell.

DUNDALK: Gabriel Sava; Alan Keane, Paddy Barrett, Andy Boyle, Shane Grimes; Chris Shields, Stephen O’Donnell (capt); John Mountney, Dean Shiels (Patrick McEleney 23), Daryl Horgan (Robbie Benson 73); Ciaran Kilduff (David McMillan 82).

Substitutes not used: Brian Gartland,  Darren Meenan, Sean Gannon, Gary Rogers (GK)

Booked: Horgan (37)

Sent off: None.

DERRY CITY: Gerard Doherty; Niclas Vemmelund, Conor McDermott, Ryan McBride (capt) (Ben Doherty 59), Dean Jarvis; Conor McCormack, Aaron McEneff; Lucas Schubert (Josh Daniels 81), Nathan Boyle (Ronan Curtis 52), Barry McNamee; Rory Patterson

Substitutes not used: Harry Monaghan, Keith Ward, Cristian Castells, Ben Doherty, Shaun Patton (GK)

Booked: None.

Sent off: None.

Attendance: 3,283

Referee: Graham Kelly