FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Dundalk Extend Lead With Sligo Win

First Team News
// 2 Sep 2019

Dundalk extended their lead at top of the SSE Airtricity League on Monday evening with a 2-0 win over Sligo Rovers.

Goals in either half from Dane Massey were enough to seal all three points for Vinny Perth’s men.

Dundalk were the dominant side in the opening exchanges but it wasn’t until the 10th minute that they had their first effort on goal when Sean Gannon unleashed from 25 yards however it went well over the bar.

The champions would take the lead in the 15th minute though when a sublime Patrick McEleney through ball put Michael Duffy in. His cross was cut out but it only went as far as Dane Massey who caught it beautifully on the half volley from the edge of the area and he gave Ed McGinty no chance.

Jamie McGrath lined one up from the edge of the area but it was straight at McGinty while at the other end Kyle McFadden headed goalwasrds but it was saved by Gary Rogers at full stretch.

Patrick Hoban was next as he fired from the edge of the area but he pulled his shot wide while McGrath once more found a pocket of space 20 yards from goal and was found by Massey but the number 10’s shot cleared the crossbar.

Daniel Kelly had a header easily gathered by McGinty as he got on the edge of McEleney’s wonderful cross into box.

McGrath then had a wonderful curling effort as he teed himself up from 25 yards but it was inches wide of the right hand post with McGinty stranded.

Dundalk were full value for their lead at the break and began the second half in the same vein.

Hoban head a header go over the bar but it wouldn’t have counted as he was offside while McEleney tried from distance once more but he couldn’t keep it down.

It would be 2-0 in the 53rd minute when Duffy’s corner from the right was met by the high rising Andy Boyle and he gave McGinty no chance as he powered to the net.

McEleney was getting closer and from 30 yards his beautiful left footed strike had beaten McGinty all ends up but it came crashing back off the crossbar.

Hoban and Duffy then combined for the Derry man to get in position to strike at the edge of the area but his first time effort was well wide of the target.

Duffy and Massey combined excellently down the left wing as the full back ran beyond the number 7 however the shot from Massey was blocked at the last minute.

With 10 minutes remaining, the Lilywhites struck the crossbar for the third time on the night.

Duffy was the provider once more and he found Hoban who got up brilliantly however his header hit the crossbar and went over.

Some neat interplay followed between McEleney and Duffy with the former’s effort from 25 yards straight into the arms of McGinty as the clock moved towards 90.

That proved to be the final action of note as Sligo briefly threatened towards the end however Dundalk took all three points from The Showgrounds.

SLIGO ROVERS: Ed McGinty; Lewis Banks, Sam Warde, Kyle McFadden (capt), Regan Donelon (Niall Morahan 80); Ronan Murray (John Russell 56),  Daryl Fordyce (Niall Watson 75), David Cawley, John Mahon, Kris Twardek; Romeo Parkes.

Substitutes not used: Luke McNicholas (GK), Brian Morley, Scott Lynch.

Booked: Warde (28), Fordyce (60), Russell (61)

Sent off: None.

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Sean Hoare, Andy Boyle, Dane Massey; Chris Shields, Patrick McEleney; Daniel Kelly (Robbie Benson 72), Jamie McGrath (Cameron Dummigan 79), Michael Duffy (Lido Lotefa 86); Patrick Hoban (capt)

Substitutes not used: Aaron McCarey, Brian Gartland, Georgie Kelly, Daniel Cleary.

Booked: None

Sent off: None

Referee: Derek Tomney

Attendance: 1,655