Dundalk rounded off their pre-season schedule with a 3-1 win over Wexford at Oriel Park.

A goal in either half from Ryan O’Kane was added to on the stroke of half-time by Cameron Elliott. Danny Furlong pulled one back for the visitors late on as the Lilywhites finalised their preparations ahead of the League of Ireland kickoff against UCD on February 17th.

Paul Doyle, who along with Nathan Shepperd returned to the starting XI after missing the Jim Malone Cup four nights earlier, headed inches wide from a Keith Ward corner but Dundalk went on to take the lead in the 13th minute.

Elliott forced a good save from goalkeeper Colm Cox but his parry fell to Ryan O’Kane who slotted home brilliantly from the edge of the area with a crisp drive.

Jordan Adeyemo forced a good save from Shepperd, as did former Dundalk player Mark Hanratty, while at the other end O’Kane teed up Elliott however Cox was equal to his effort.

O’Kane struck one from 30 yards which flashed wide before Elliott got the goal that his endeavour deserved on the stroke of half-time. A cross from the left wasn’t properly cleared and the Scottish striker showed brilliant composure to finish from 10 yards.

HT: Dundalk FC 2-0 Wexford FC

7 February 2023; James Crawford of Wexford in action against John Martin of Dundalk during the Pre-Season Friendly match between Dundalk and Wexford at Oriel Park in Dundalk, Louth. Photo by Ben McShane/Sportsfile

John Martin almost made it 3-0 immediately after the break but his close-range effort was blocked with Hanratty almost finding the net for Wexford from distance after dispossessing Shepperd.

O’Kane doubled his tally when he collected a Paul Doyle pass and cut in from the left to drill the ball inside Cox’s near post and he had the chance to complete the hat-trick shortly after but he shot just wide when put through on goal.

Danny Furlong forced Shepperd into action again as he latched on to a loose ball in behind but the goalkeeper was equal to it.

Archie Davies almost marked his first appearance at Oriel Park with a goal that would have capped a fine team move but the goalkeeper pushed it away.

Furlong did get a goal for James Keddy’s side when he tapped home from close range in the closing stages.

That proved to be the final action of note with attention now switching to the opening night of the season against UCD on Friday week.

FT: Dundalk FC 3-1 Wexford FC

DUNDALK FC: Nathan Shepperd; Archie Davies, Hayden Muller, Louie Annesley, Darragh Leahy (Andy Boyle 62); Alfie Lewis, Paul Doyle (Greg Sloggett 75); John Martin (Connor Malley 75), Keith Ward (Robbie Benson HT), Ryan O’Kane; Cameron Elliott (Patrick Hoban 75). Subs not used:  Eoin Kenny, Mark Byrne (GK), Callum Bonner, Luke Mulligan, Anthony Mayo, Jake Hough, Oisin Coleman.

WEXFORD FC: Colm Cox; Karl Chambers, Hugh Douglas (Matthew Dunne 67), Ethan Boyle (Benjamin Lynch 67), James Crawford; Conor Levingston (Corban Piper 62); Darragh Levingston (Sean Fitzpatrick HT), Aaron Robinson (Evan Farrell 72), Brandon McCann (Gary Armstrong HT), Mark Hanratty (Reece Webb 58); Jordan Adeyemo (Danny Furlong 67). Sub not used: Noel Heffernan (GK).

REFEREE: Rob Harvey.