FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Dundalk Held To Goalless Draw

First Team News
// 12 Mar 2018

For the second away game in succession Dundalk were held to a 0-0 draw away from home this time against St. Patrick’s Athletic at Richmond Park.

It was all Dundalk in the opening with Sean Hoare heading straight at Barry Murphy from Robbie Benson’s free-kick and Hoare turned provider for Michael Duffy who headed wide to round off the opening 10 minutes.

Patrick Hoban had the best chance of the opening stages when he controlled Sean Gannon’s superb cross field ball but his shot was pushed away by Murphy.

Dylan Connolly linked up well with Hoban however his shot was saved easily by Murphy before St. Patrick’s had their only effort of the half with Conan Byrne firing high and wide from a long distance free-kick.

Duffy’s free-kick then fell to Murray however as he was about to pull the trigger and Hoban shot straight at Murphy after he created the chance for himself.

After a couple of strong challenges from Daniel Cleary and Ryan Brennan which resulted in yellows for both, Dundalk had even better chances to take the lead just before the break.

Cleary himself had the first of the chances when his glancing header was heading goalwards however Darragh Markey cleared off the line with the keeper beaten.

Murray was the next when his superb turn created the space on the penalty spot and his strike seemed destined for the top corner however Kevin Toner somehow got his head to put it behind for a corner.

The second half began with the home side showing more attacking intent. Byrne got in behind but his cross was well cleared however Dundalk broke as the Saints were attacking when Connolly used his pace well to counter and slipped Hoban through on goal however the goalkeeper did well to smother the ball.

The Lilywhites came close to scoring again when Duffy was fouled 30 yards from goal. Murray lined it up brilliantly and he struck the crossbar with Murphy beaten however the goalkeeper recovered well to save the follow up from Hoare on the hour mark.

Brennan then had an effort for Pat’s hit the roof of the net while Toner also had a header but it went wide.

The Lilywhites reset and had the majority of possession and wasted a good chance when substitute Krisztian Adorján was leading a three on two break away however he couldn’t find Marco Tagbajumi who was through on goal.

Lee Desmond caught a shot on the volley but it went harmlessly wide from 30 yards with just five minutes left on the clock.

Tagbajumi looked like he had won it for the visitors when he found the net in injury-time however it was ruled out as he was in an offside position

That proved to be the final action of note as the match ended scoreless.

ST. PATRICK’S ATHLETIC: Barry Murphy; Simon Madden, Kevin Toner, Lee Desmond, Ian Bermingham (capt); Ryan Brennan, Owen Garvan, Darragh Markey (Graham Kelly 90); Conan Byrne (Ian Turner 82), Christy Fagan (Jake Keegan 90), Dean Clarke.

Substitutes not used: Brian Maher (GK), Michael Barker, James Doona, Michael Leahy.

Booked: Brennan (35), Garvan (59), Murphy (88)

Sent off: None.

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Daniel Cleary, Sean Hoare, Dane Massey (capt); Chris Shields (Karolis Cbvedukas 81), Robbie Benson; Dylan Connolly, Ronan Murray (Krisztian Adorján 70), Michael Duffy; Patrick Hoban (Marco Tagbajumi 74).

Substitutes not used: Gabriel Sava (GK), Stephen Folan, Jamie McGrath , Dean Jarvis.

Booked: Cleary (32) Hoban (53)

Sent off: None.

Referee: Rob Rogers