FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Kelly Strike Maintains Winning Run

First Team News
// 4 Oct 2019

Dundalk carried on winning with a 1-0 win over Derry City on Friday evening.

Daniel Kelly’s second half strike was the difference between the sides at Oriel Park in what was an entertaining encounter.

Dearry City had an early goal chalked out when David Parkhouse got in behind however he was ruled offside.

At the other end, Daniel Kelly crossed for Patrick Hoban however he couldn’t get it on target.

Dundalk began to control the ball a little more and Chris Shields ball forward was knocked down by Hoban to Kelly but his first time volley flashed just wide.

Barry McNamee then had two quickfire chances for Derry first from a free-kick which he curled wide and then in ordinary play, he robbed Brian Gartland but his effort was dragged wide.

Jamie McDonagh was next but his snapshot never threatened Gary Rogers with Duffy shooting from similar distance at the other end however he was denied by Cherrie.

The half was petering out when there was a flurry of activity. First Parkhouse forced a save from Rogers with a long range volley then at the other end a superb cross from Gannon was onto the head of Hoban who powered it goalwards however it was well saved by Cherrie.

The half-time break came and went and it was Robbie Benson who had the first effort of the second half with a flash shot but it was inches wide of Cherrie’s left hand post.

Derry had a period of dominance after that with Ciaron Harkin firing a free-kick goalwards which was deflected wide and McDonagh also had a shot but his was trying to catch Rogers off his line and it was wide.

Dundalk did make the breakthrough in the 64th minute.

McDonagh looked like he had fouled Benson inside the box however referee Neil Doyle gave nothing. It didn’t matter though as the ball was recycled out to Gannon on the right. His cross was outstanding and he picked out the waiting Kelly at the back post and he rifled home.

Gannon and Kelly combined once more but this time the latter fluffed his lines and sliced the ball into the air.

Derry City then had an opportunity to equalise when a quick corner caught out the Lilywhites and led to a scramble in the box with substitute Grant Gillespie rattled the post from inside the box.

Dundalk looked to add to the lead but nothing of note came of anything with Derry threatening but not coming close and so it finished 1-0 to the champions.

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Brian Gartland (capt), Cameron Dummigan; Sean Murray (Georgie Kelly 74), Chris Shields; Daniel Kelly (Mark Hanratty 87), Robbie Benson, Michael Duffy (Lido Lotefa 60); Patrick Hoban.

Substitutes not used: Ross Treacy (GK), Sean Hoare, Jamie McGrath, Georgie Kelly, Dane Massey.

Booked: Shields (90)

Sent off:

DERRY CITY: Peter Cherrie; Jamie McDonagh, Eoin Toal, Ally Gilchrist, Ciaran Coll; Gregg Sloggett (Grant Gillespie 32), Ciaron Harkin; Darren McCauley (Conor Davis 57), Barry McNamee (capt) (Michael McCrudden 80), Junior Ogedi-Ozokwe; David Parkhouse.

Substitutes not used: Nathan Gartside (GK), Mark McChrystal, Aidy Delap, Ronan Boyce.


Sent off:

Referee: Neil Doyle

Attendance: 2,106