FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Late Goal Gives Slovan Victory

First Team News
// 7 Aug 2019

Dundalk suffered a 1-0 defeat at the Telenhe Pole on Tuesday night as they lost to Slovan Bratislava.

David Holman’s late goal was the difference on the night between the sides.

The opening was scrappy with both sides feeling each other out and Moha had the best chance early on as he cut inside off the left but his shot was deflected into Gary Rogers.

Ratao then had the next opportunity for the hosts when he got free on the edge of the area however his curling effort went just wide.

Dundalk grew into it and they conjured up a brilliant chance of their own on the half hour mark.

John Mountney found himself in the centre of the field and he played a superb reverse ball to Michael Duffy who gave himself space however Dominik Greif saved well to keep the scores level.

Sean Murray’s corner was met by Andy Boyle at the back post and looked goalbound however it was scrambled away by a combination of two Slovan defenders.

Moha had another chance as he waltzed through the defence however he fired wide when the shot opened up.

Boyle had another opportunity just on the stroke of half-time however he couldn’t get direction to his header and it missed the target.

The Lilywhites were fortunate not to fall behind early after the re-start.

Slovan had three quickfire chances when Sporar was denied by Boyle, Ratao by Rogers and Holman somehow but the final follow up wide and into the side netting.

Dundalk almost made them pay though when McGrath done superbly well to run through and get to the byline but his pull back to Murray was hit into the side netting by the former Ireland U21 international.

There were a number of penalty appeals against Boyle in particular turned down which agitated the locals but Sporar forced another excellent save from Rogers as he parried the ball to safety at his near post and the netminder was to the rescue again as the game entered the final 20 minutes when he tipped away Abena’s header somehow from point blank range.

Slovan did press further and got the goal that they deserved in the 86th minute when Drazic’s long range effort came crashing back off the post and into the path of Holman who side footed to the net.

Dundalk almost got that crucial away goal when some clever play from McGrath saw him find Mountney at the back post but his header was tipped away brilliantly by Greif.

That was the final action of note as the referee blew the full-time whistle and we go back to Tallaght Stadium 1-0 behind on aggregate.

SLOVAN BRATISLAVA: Dominik Greif; Juric Medvedev, Leo Abena, Vasil Bozhikov (capt), Vernon de Marco; Joeri de Kamps, Marin Ljubicic; Rafael Ratao (Dejan Drazic 67), David Holman, Mohammed Rharsalla (Erik Daniel 77); Andraz Sporar (Aleksandar Cavic 80).

Substitutes not used: Michal Sulla (GK), Mitch Apau, Rabiu Ibrahim, Nono.

Booked: De Marco (43), Abena (65)

Sent off: None.

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Daniel Cleary, Andy Boyle, Dane Massey; Chris Shields, Sean Murray (Patrick McEleney 70); John Mountney, Jamie McGrath, Michael Duffy (Daniel Kelly 88); Patrick Hoban (capt) (Cameron Dummigan 88).

Substitutes not used: Aaron McCarey (GK), Brian Gartland, Sean Hoare, Patrick McEleney, Georgie Kelly.

Booked: Cleary (90)

Sent off: None

Referee: Frank Schneider (France)