FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Late Hoare Goal Takes Three Points

// 24 May 2019

There was late drama at Oriel once more as Sean Hoare’s 90th minute goal secured a superb 1-0 win over St. Patrick’s Athletic!

Mikey Drennan had the first opening of the game when he found himself free from 10 yards after Rhys McCabe’s cross however his header was well over the bar.

Drennan had another opportunity but his effort was easy for Gary Rogers while at the other end just before the half hour mark, Sean Murray forced a better save from Brendan Clarke as his free-kick was superbly tipped around the post by the net minder from 30 yards out.

Murray again had an effort, this time from open play but his shot from just outside the area didn’t threaten the goal.

Murray again with the effort but Clarke found it easy before Patrick McEleney had his first foray into the area when he danced past three defenders but his shot was easily saved by the goalkeeper when he got in range.

After the half finished scoreless, the Lilywhites upped the tempo in the second half.

Chris Shields found Dean Jarvis at the back post but his volley was skewed wide when he had time to finish.

Duffy was next with a superb shot but it cannoned back off a Pat’s defender to safety when it looked destined for the net.

It looked like Duffy was about to give the Lilywhites the lead just after half-time when he got in superbly at the back post to get on the end of McEleney’s cross but he got under it and steered it wide.

Pat’s then had their best chance when McCabe’s long throw found Drennan in the box but his volley was excellently blocked by Jarvis on the six yard line.

Hoban had a header go over the bar as he appeared to catch it on the rise while Duffy again stole in at the back post but Clarke was alert to the danger.

Hoban and Duffy had some superb interplay on the edge of the area however his shot was blocked well by the defence.

Flores took the following corner and it was Sean Hoare who rose highest however he couldn’t find the target as the game entered the final 10 minutes.

Georgie Kelly then had a header go inches wide from Duffy’s corner on the right and from a Duffy corner on the left, Kelly would get another chance which would deflect into the path of Jarvis but his goalbound effort was saved by a last ditch block.

It was Kelly again as he got across the box for another Duffy corner but he glanced it just wide with the goalkeeper beaten.

It looked like the game was headed for deadlock however another corner caused panic in the box from Duffy and after many attempts by Dundalk to shoot, it fell to Kevin Toner who tried to clear the ball however it rebounded off the Hoare who knew very little about it and it flew into the top corner past the helpless Clarke!

The Lilywhites then had to defend for the five minutes of stoppage time when Webster forced Kelly to clear however that was the closest they came to conceding and we held on for a crucial victory!

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Brian Gartland (capt), Sean Hoare, Dean Jarvis; Chris Shields, Sean Murray (Jordan Flores 46); John Mountney (Georgie Kelly 71), Patrick McEleney (Daniel Kelly 88), Michael Duffy; Patrick Hoban.

Substitutes not used: Aaron McCarey (GK), Cameron Dummigan, Dane Massey, Daniel Cleary.

Booked: None.

Sent off: None.

ST. PATRICK’S ATHLETIC: Brendan Clarke; Simon Madden, Dave Webster, Kevin Toner, Ian Bermingham (capt); Jamie Lennon, Rhys McCabe, Darragh Markey, Ciaran Kelly; Mikey Drennan, Gary Shaw (Jake Walker 85).

Substitutes not used: Barry Murphy (GK), James Doona, Cian Coleman, Paul Cleary, Chris Forrester, Kevin Kelly.

Booked: Shaw (55), Drennan (82), Webster (84), Bermingham (90)

Sent off: None.

Referee: Paul McLaughlin

Attendance: 2,377