FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Lilywhites Advance in FAI Cup

First Team News
// 10 Aug 2018

Dundalk began their Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup campaign with a 3-0 win over Cobh Ramblers at Oriel Park on Friday night.

A brace from Ronan Murray was added to by Jamie McGrath to send the Lilywhites into the second round.

Dundalk should have taken the lead early on when Michael Duffy got himself free and shot at goal however Andy Mylod was able to get his body behind the ball and block it away.

Jaze Kabia responded for Cobh Ramblers when he got in behind the defence but his shot was gathered by goalkeeper Gary Rogers at the second attempt.

Shane O’Connor tried his luck from outside the area but it curled inches wide of the target before Jamie McGrath had a shot blocked from just inside the area.

Daniel Cleary headed Dean Jarvis’ corner straight at the goalkeeper and Ronan Murray then had a superb chip however it was too high to the left of the goal.

Georgie Kelly then had a superb chance to bag his first goal for the club however his shot from an acute angle was pulled just wide.

Dundalk would take the lead however just after the half hour mark when Robbie Benson’s outstanding ball over the top was latched onto by Duffy and his cross was expertly turned into the net by Murray.

David Hurley then had a dipping effort which went inches over Rogers’ crossbar before Kelly once again had a great chance to net his first goal however this time his volley was just wide of the target.

Duffy then tried his luck to get on the scoresheet on the stroke of half-time however his curling effort from the edge of the area went just wide of the target.

Kabia had a chance to equalise in the opening minutes of the second half however his shot from 30 yards was straight at Rogers.

It would be 2-0 in the 52nd minute when Karolis Chvedukas and Murray linked up well to find Jarvis and his cross goes all the way through to McGrath who gets the ball out of his feet to find the net.

Denzil Fernandes managed to create space for himself in behind the Dundalk defence and he was one on one with Rogers but the goalkeeper was equal to his effort.

Jarvis found Cleary again with a corner however his header was straight at the goalkeeper.

Substitute Dylan Connolly showed superb pace and skill to get beyond the full back but with just the goalkeeper left to beat he scuffed his shot and Mylod gladly held on.

Kelly again had a chance but the ball was behind him from Jarvis while Cobh’s Stephen Kenny almost caught out the defence however his cross was well held by Rogers.

It would be 3-0 in the closing stages as Sean Gannon’s cross from the right was expertly turned home by Murray.

Murray almost had a hat-trick with an audacious attempt from 25 yards while McGrath was looking for a second himself from the same range however the goalkeeper was equal to it.

That proved to be the final action of not as Dundalk ran out 3-0 winners.

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Brian Gartland (capt) (Dane Massey 58), Daniel Cleary, Dean Jarvis; Karolis Chvedukas, Robbie Benson; Jamie McGrath, Ronan Murray, Michael Duffy (Dylan Connolly 68); George Kelly (Sam Byrne 76)

Substitutes not used: Gabriel Sava (GK), Georgie Poynton, Chris Shields, Patrick Hoban.

Booked: None .

Sent off: None.

COBH RAMBLERS: Andy Mylod; Kevin Taylor, Ben O’Riordan (Craig Donnellon 74), James McSweeney, Ian Mylod; Stephen Christopher (Stephen Kenny 67), David Hurley (Cian Leonard 61), Gordon Walker, Shane O’Connor; Jaze Kabia, Denzil Fernandes,


Booked: A. Mylod (33)

Sent off: None.

Referee: Rob Rogers