FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Lilywhites Advance To Round Two

First Team News
// 10 Aug 2019

Dundalk began the defence of their extra.ie FAI Cup with a 1-0 win over Cobh Ramblers at St. Colman’s Park.

Georgie Kelly netted the only goal 20 minutes from time to send the Lilywhites through on Saturday night.

Cobh had the first chance when Dave Hurley got sight of goal but he snatched at the shot and it went wide.

It looked like Dundalk had taken the lead when Sean Hoare fired goalwards but his effort came off the crossbar and onto the line with referee Ray Matthews adamant that the ball didn’t cross the line despite the protests.

The wind was causing difficulty and both sides struggled to retain possession.

Daniel Kelly’s cross almost evaded Paul Hunt but he recovered well to palm the ball away.

Hurley again had an effort that clipped the post while on the stroke of half-time, Patrick McEleney’s corner found the head of Mountney but Hunt got the ball away.

Dundalk began the second period with more urgency.

John Mountney forced Hunt into a good save before McEleney fired just wide from 30 yards.

Georgie Kelly then found himself through on goal however he wasn’t able to finish and sliced wide.

The opener would come with just over 20 minutes remaining on the clock.

Substitute Sean Gannon played the perfect cross to find Georgie and he directed his header beautifully to the corner.

Daniel Kelly almost doubled the advantage immediately but his header was just over from McEleney’s cross.

Cian Leonard almost equalised for Cobh but he volleyed over before Murray’s free-kick caused all ends of panic forcing Hunt to scramble the ball clear.

Dummigan then snatched at a volley from distance as the game approached the closing stages.

Daniel Cleary would have two efforts both from Murray corners with the first one being a header which went just wide and the second a rasping shot that was charged down.

Duffy had a chance as the game approached the final minute but his low drive was well dealt with by Hunt.

Georgie almost got his second with a shot but Hunt was there to stop and Murray had the final word but his stinging drive found the side netting from 12 yards.

That was it and Dundalk got the job done to progress to the second round.

COBH RAMBLERS: Paul Hunt; Kevin Taylor, Charlie Fleming, Ben O’Riordan, Greg Murray; Dave Hurley, Charlie Lyons, Ian Turner; Bryan Murphy, Stephen O’Leary; Cameron Harlson (Andrew Cronin 74).

Substitutes not used: Adam Mylod (GK), Cian Leonard, Mickey Foley, Stephen O’Connor, Matt Lamb, Jamie O’Sullivan.

Booked: (Lyons 71)

Sent off: None.

DUNDALK: Aaron McCarey; James Carroll (Sean Gannon 51), Brian Gartland (capt), Daniel Cleary, Cameron Dummigan; Sean Hoare, Patrick McEleney; John Mountney (Sean Murray 76), Lido Lotefa (Michaeal Duffy 58), Daniel Kelly; Georgie Kelly.

Substitutes not used: Gary Rogers (GK), Chris Shields, Michael Duffy, Patrick Hoban, Dane Massey, Sean Murray.

Booked: None.

Sent off: None.

Referee: Ray Matthews