FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Lilywhites Defeated At RSC

First Team News
// 4 May 2018

Dundalk suffered their second straight away defeat as they went down 2-1 to Waterford on Friday night.

The goal action all took place in an extended injury-time at the end of the first half when Izzy Akinade struck a brace to put the hosts 2-0 up. Ronan Murray pulled one back on the stroke of the break however that was as good as it got for the visitors who lost their captain Stephen O’Donnell to serious injury before the half-time interval also.

Dundalk had the first opportunity and it came from a free-kick when Ronan Murray struck from 30 yards but the wall deflected it into the path of the goalkeeper and he easily gathered it.

Michael Duffy then threatened when he turned brilliantly to get away from three Waterford players however he shot well wide from the edge of the area.

It was a scrappy affair for the most part and Duffy’s cross caused panic in the area and at the other end Paul Keegan’s cross also caused some degree of uncertainty but Dundalk scrambled it away.

It was from a Keegan cross that Dundalk would counter and have the best chance of the opening stages when Robbie Benson broke free after a clearance and he fed Duffy through on goal but his left footed drive was dragged wide of the target.

Waterford didn’t create anything of note until the 37th minute and they conjured up the first effort on target of the clash when Izzy Akinade’s header was expertly tipped wide by Gary Rogers as he nodded Stanley Aborah’s outstanding cross towards goal.

Dundalk were dealt a hammer blow with 7 minutes remaining until the break when Stephen O’Donnell went off with a serious leg injury.

It seemed to affect the focus of the side and they fell behind in the first minute of additional time.

Keegan’s long ball into the box was not dealt with by Gary Rogers and Akinade got there first to head into the empty net.

Further to that it was 2-0 moments later when Akinade got free inside the box and fired low past Rogers to the bottom right corner.

The Lilywhites responded though as Mountney won a free-kick 25 yards from goal. Murray stood up and took and fired excellently to the top corner past Vigouroux.

Dean O’Halloran struck just wide of the post from the edge of the area while in almost a mirror of that Duffy had the same chance and it went wide of the post for Dundalk.

Waterford almost made it 3-1 just after the hour mark when Keegan fired towards goal from the edge of the area but it hit the inside of the post and somehow stayed out.

Hoban had a header go into the arms of Vigouroux and he then tried the acrobatic in the area but had the same result with the goalkeeper equal to it.

Benson looked like he was about to draw Dundalk level when he found space inside the area but instead of hitting the target he pulled it wide after Hoban’s layoff.

Hoban himself then had a chance on the volley but he struck over the bar at the near post from Duffy’s ball in.

Hoban and Duffy linked up once more when the latter’s corner was under the crossbar for the striker but he couldn’t find the net under pressure from Vigouroux.

Benson fired high and wide from distance with just under 10 minutes remaining and inside the last 5 he created a brilliant chance for himself after Jamie McGrath found him but he pulled his shot inches wide.

Chris Shields had a chance in injury-time but it was deflected wide from Sean Hoare’s throw.

That proved to be the Lilywhites final opportunity to get a point and referee Derek Tomney blew the full-time whistle at the RSC.

WATERFORD: Lawrence Vigouroux; Rory Feely, David Webster, Dylan Barnett, Garry Comerford; Paul Keegan (capt), Batian Hery, Stanley Aborah (John Martin 69), Gavan Holohan; Courtney Duffus (Sander Puri 84), Izzy Akinade.

Substitutes not used: Niall Corbet (GK), Faysel Kasmi, Derek Daly  Dean O’Halloran, Dean Walsh

Booked: Aborah (38)

Sent off: None.

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Sean Hoare, Brian Gartland, Daniel Cleary (Jamie McGrath 46), Dean Jarvis; Robbie Benson, Stephen O’Donnell (capt) (Chris Shields 43); John Mountney, Ronan Murray (Dylan Connolly 62), Michael Duffy; Patrick Hoban.

Substitutes not used: Gabriel Sava (GK), Krisztián Adorján, Dane Massey, Marco Tagbajumi.

Booked: Jarvis (19)

Sent off: None.

Referee: Derek Tomney

Attendance: 3,508