FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Lilywhites Defeated At The Showgrounds

First Team News
// 12 Apr 2019

Dundalk suffered frustration on the road once more as they were defeated 2-1 away to Sligo Rovers on Friday night.

Romeo Parkes put Sligo in front straight from kick-off before Patrick Hoban’s penalty levelled things up. Dante Leverock netted the winner just before half-time at the Showgrounds

Dundalk fell behind after just 26 seconds when Lewis Banks and Ronan Coughlan combined on the left and got the cross in to the near post and it fell to Romeo Parkes who finished first time on the volley to give the hosts a dream start.

It was almost 2-0 in the 10th minute when Daryl Fordyce pressed forward and the ball rebounded for him to go through on goal and he did but he pulled his shot well wide of the target with just Gary Rogers to beat.

It was almost 1-1 moments later when a scintillating counter attack saw Sean Gannon get down the right and his cross was deflected into the path of Jamie McGrath who struck first time but John Mahon got his body in the way to take the ball inches wide with the goalkeeper beaten.

Parkes had another chance to make it 2-0 when he got beyond the Dundalk defence and his shot beat Rogers but it hit the post and was cleared.

Dundalk were more into the game and in the 20th minute, they had their best chance when Hoban got free on the left and put a cross into the box and it found the head of McGrath who looped a header. It looked destined for the net however it was cleared off the line.

From the corner though the Lilywhites were to be presented with the perfect chance to level things up.

Duffy took the corner on the right and as Sean Hoare went up to head, the ball was met by the hand of Banks.

Hoban stepped up, struck a panenka, and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way to make it one each.

Hoban had a chance to net from open play when he latched on to a Gannon through ball but he pulled it wide with just the goalkeeper to beat.

Sligo made it 2-1 just before the break when Leverock stole in at the back post unmarked and he scuffed a shot home to the net with Rogers stranded.

It was a scrappy second half with the wind causing problems for both sides.

Jack Keaney had a free-kick go straight at Rogers while at the other end Duffy struck a free-kick into the wall from 30 yards.

Rogers pulled off a stunning save to keep Dundalk in it when Coughlan’s cross found Fordyce but his header was expertly tipped over the bar by the goalkeeper.

Substitute Joe McKee found space just outside the area and his cross was dangerous and could only be knocked into the path of Duffy but his effort was charged down by Dunleavy.

Dundalk finally had a shot on target in the second half in the 88th minute when John Mountney volleyed from the edge of the area but it was easy for Beeney in goal.

That was the final action of note and Dundalk fell to their second straight defeat in the league.

SLIGO ROVERS: Mitchell Beeney; Lewis Banks, Kyle Callan McFadden (capt), Dante Leverock, John Mahon Johnny Dunleavy; Daryl Fordyce, Jack Keaney (Niall Morahan 89), David Cawley, Ronan Coughlan; Romeo Parkes (Kris Twardek 73).

Substitutes not used: Luke McNicholas (GK), Sam Warde, Brian Morley, John Russell, Liam Kerrigan.

Booked: McFadden (26), Coughlan (33), Twardek (82)

Sent off: None.

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Brian Gartland (capt) (John Mountney 46), Daniel Cleary, Dane Massey; Sean Murray, (Joe McKee 68) Sean Hoare; Daniel Kelly (Georgie Kelly 62), Jamie McGrath, Michael Duffy; Patrick Hoban.

Substitutes not used: Aaron McCarey (GK), Jordan Flores, Cameron Dummigan, Dean Jarvis.

Booked: Daniel Kelly (13), Cleary (40), McGrath (43), Hoare (57)

Sent off: None.

Referee: Rob Rogers