FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Lilywhites Lose In Cork

First Team News
// 18 Oct 2019

Dundalk were defeated for the second week in a row after losing 1-0 to Cork City on Friday night.

Daire O’Connor’s first half strike was the difference between the sides at Turners Cross.

Dundalk had an early penalty shout turned down when Hoban was fouled in the box with referee Rob Hennessy waving away the appeals.

Conor McCormack had the first effort on goal when Conor McCormack got in on the right and shot at Aaron McCarey but it was straight at the goalkeeper.

Dundalk dominated possession for the most part but created very little and it wasn’t until five minutes before the break they had their first real effort on goal.

Michael Duffy’s corner was excellent to the back post and he found Dane Massey who headed it goalwards. Robbie Benson guided the ball towards the net however Dan Casey cleared at the last minute.

It was to be Cork City who opened the scoring just before the break when Ben O’Brien Whitmarsh played a wonderful through ball to Daire O’Connor who raced through on goal and fired past McCarey.

Cork were one up at the break and almost made it two shortly after when Conor McCarthy’s looping header went inches wide of the target.

Dundalk looked like they were set to equalise when Sean Hoare’s clearance was held up brilliantly by Hoban on the near touchline. He had the awareness and the quality to play the ball to substitute Jamie McGrath who was one on one with Ryan but the goalkeeper saved well with his legs.

Karl Sheppard looked like he was about to make it 2-0 but McCarey was equal to it when he got in at the back post unopposed.

Dundalk had a series of free-kicks after that with Duffy first stepping up but he curled over the bar before Hoban took the next one and managed to get it on target but easy for Ryan.

It looked like the Lilywhites were about to equalise when a snapshot from McGrath 20 yards out seemed to catch Ryan out but he got across brilliantly to palm it away.

Robbie Benson was increasingly prominent in Dundalk’s play as the the second half wore on and he picked up a pass from Duffy in a tight space just inside the area, he got his shot away but it was excellently saved by Ryan to tip it over the bar.

Hoban then looked to have the best chance of all as he had a free header but he only half caught it and the chance went begging.

Ryan was man of the match and he pulled off his best save of the night with five minutes remaining.

Duffy’s free-kick on the right was onto the head of Massey who powered the ball towards goal but somehow Ryan was able to keep it out in what was a stunning stop.

Sean Gannon had a volleyed effort go over the bar while at the death, Ryan spilled a header and looks like he had dropped it into his own net however that was the final action and we move onto the final round of fixtures.

CORK CITY: Tadgh Ryan; Beineón O’Brien-Whitmarsh (Eoghan Stokes 84), Conor McCarthy (capt), Dan Casey, Alec Byrne; Gearoid Morrissey, Conor McCormack; Daire O’Connor, Garry Buckley, Ronan Hurley; Karl Sheppard.

Substitutes not used: Mark McNulty (GK), Colm Horgan, Joel Coustrain, Kevin O’Connor, Ricardo Dinanga, Dale Holland.

Booked: None.

Sent off: None.

DUNDALK: Aaron McCarey; Sean Gannon, Andy Boyle, Sean Hoare, Dane Massey; Chris Shields, Robbie Benson; Daniel Kelly (Georgie Kelly 77), Sean Murray (Jamie McGrath 56), Michael Duffy; Patrick Hoban (capt)

Substitutes not used: Gary Rogers (GK), Brian Gartland, Cameron Dummigan, Lido Lotefa, Dean Jarvis.

Booked: Shields (51), Massey (61)

Sent off: None.

Referee: Robert Hennessy

Attendance: 2,354