FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Lilywhites Win At RSC

First Team News
// 29 Apr 2019

Dundalk continued their winning run with a 3-0 win over ten man Waterford at the RSC on Monday.

A superb brace from Michael Duffy was added to by a stunning Jordan Flores strike to give the champions victory in the rainy South East.

The rain had made the pitch tricky to deal with in the early stages but Michael Duffy had the first opportunity inside the first ten minutes when he got in behind after Patrick Hoban’s clever ball through but he shot straight at the goalkeeper.

Duffy again got in behind brilliantly and he deceived Rory Feely but not Matthew Connor who smothered the ball when it broke free.

Jordan Flores, who came on for Jamie McGrath early, had a shot go wide from distance before Chris Shields also tried his luck but he suffered the same result with his effort ending up outside the ground.

Izzy Akinade had the hosts first effort just before the half hour mark but it didn’t threaten Gary Rogers.

Both sides struggled with the conditions but it was Dundalk who always looked more likely to go in front and they did just before the interval.

McEleney was fouled on the edge of the area and Duffy stepped up, curled the ball around everyone and into the net past the despairing Connor.

It should have been 2-0 moments later when Duffy turned provider for Kelly but his low drive from ten yards was saved by Connor.

Waterford had the better of things in the opening stages of the second half but they didn’t really create much of note and they were punished when Duffy and Hoban combined on the which was the Lilywhites first chance of the half.

It was laid off to Flores who unleashed a piledriver first time from 30 yards leaving Connor with no chance.

Dundalk were comfortable at that stage and their night was made easir as Bastien Hery picked up two yellow cards and received a red.

Dundalk capitalised almost straight away when Duffy got his second on the night when he fired a superb driven shot from the edge of the area, low to the right of Connor to make it 3-0 with 20 minutes remaining.

It should have been four soon after when Hoban went on a darting run through the heart of the defence but his shot was well saved by the feet of Connor.

Dundalk controlled possession in the closing stages with little goalmouth action and the game ended in an impressive 3-0 win for the visitors to make it five wins in a row.

WATERFORD: Matthew Connor; Rory Feely, Maxim Kouogun, Damien Delaney (capt), Aaron Simpson; Zack Elbouzedi (Cory Galvin 75), JJ Lunney, Shane Duggan (Georgie Poynton 70), Bastien Hery, Aaron Drinan (Scott Twine 70); Izzy Akinade.

Substitutes not used: Hugo Keto (GK), John Martin, Dean Walsh, Shane Griffin.

Booked: Hery (60, 63)

Sent off: Hery (63)

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Brian Gartland (capt), Daniel Cleary, Dean Jarvis; Chris Shields, Patrick McEleney; Daniel Kelly (John Mountney 61), Jamie McGrath (Jordan Flores 15), Michael Duffy; Patrick Hoban.

Substitutes not used: Aaron McCarey (GK), Georgie Kelly, Cameron Dummigan, Daniel Cleary, Joe McKee.

Booked: Jarvis (71)

Sent off: None.

Referee: Derek Tomney

Attendance: 971