FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Mountney Hat-Trick Sees Champions Go Clear

First Team News
// 31 May 2019

Dundalk went clear at the top of the SSE Airtricity League on Friday evening with a 4-0 win over Sligo Rovers at Oriel Park.

A Patrick Hoban penalty added to a superb John Mountney hat-trick as the champions opened up a 3 point lead at the summit.

Dundalk got off to the perfect start after just 25 seconds when John Mountney headed home from Patrick McEleney’s superb left wing cross.

It should have been 2-0 in the 10th minute when McEleney caused problems on the right and his ball back to the edge of the area found Jordan Flores but he could only find the side netting.

Flores again was bombing forward and his header was glanced inches wide of the target when he got on the end of Dean Jarvis’ cross.

McEleney was next to have a go but his shot was straight at McGinty and Michael Duffy broke through the centre however his effort was blocked down when it looked goal bound.

It was almost 1-1 though when Daryl Fordyce and Romeo Parkes played a nice one-two with each other with the latter shooting from an acute angle however it was just wide.

That was as close as either side came to finding another goal and the Lilywhites went in 1-0 at half-time.

In the second half, it was the visitors who had the better of the opening exchanges.

Parkes got into space 30 yards from goal and shot but it was easy for Gary Rogers and the David Cawley played in Ronan Coughlan behind however when he was about to shoot he was adjudged to be offside.

David Cawley would have a go from a free-kick forcing Rogers into an intelligent save around his post however, it would be 2-0 just after the hour mark.

A swift break between Hoban and Mountney saw the former have a shot from inside the box however it was charged down by Kyle McFadden using his arm and referee Rob Rogers pointed to the spot.

Up stepped Hoban and he rattled the top right corner of the net.

Mountney had a chance to grab his second with a shot from distance before he did find the net when he got in at the back post when Hoban and Duffy combined with the Derry man providing a wonderful cross for Mountney to nod home.

It all opened up for Duffy to have a go but his shot was deflected just wide of the goal and from the corner, Georgie Kelly got his head on it however it went wide.

The champions would get the fourth goal though and Mountney the match ball when Hoban and Duffy combined with the number 9 firing off target however he was fouled in the box and the referee awarded a second spot kick.

Hoban afforded the Mayo man the opportunity to get his third of the night and Mountney made no mistake powering to the net.

Hoban had chance to get his second but his shot was deflected just wide and Duffy had an effort too however his went well over the bar.

There was no other action after that and referee Rogers blew the full-time whistle after two additional minutes as Dundalk ran out 4-0 victors.

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Daniel Cleary, Sean Hoare, Dean Jarvis; Jordan Flores (Dane Massey 65), Chris Shields; John Mountney (Daniel Kelly 81), Patrick McEleney (Georgie Kelly 75), Michael Duffy; Patrick Hoban.

Substitutes not used: Aaron McCarey (GK), Brian Gartland, Dylan Hand, Lido Lotefa

Booked: Jarvis (57)

Sent off: None.

SLIGO ROVERS: Ed McGinty, Lewis Banks, Kyle McFadden (capt), John Mahon, Sam Warde (Niall Morahan 46); Daryl Fordyce, Kris Twardek; Ronan Coughlan, David Cawley, Liam Kerrigan (Brian Morley 81); Romeo Parkes.

Substitutes not used: Luke McNichols (GK), John Russell, Ronan Murray, Jack Keaney, Ryan Smith.

Booked: Fordyce (38), Cawley (66), McFadden (80)

Sent off: None.

Referee: Rob Rogers

Attendance: 2,136