FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

Second Half Display Seals Win

First Team News
// 30 Apr 2018

Dundalk were 5-0 winners over St. Patrick’s Athletic on Monday night in what was a scintillating display at Oriel Park.

All goals came after the break when Patrick Hoban netted a brace which was added to by Ronan Murray, Michael Duffy and Jamie McGrath to give Dundalk a superb second half display.

Dundalk started the brighter and had their first chance in the opening minutes when Robbie Benson sent Patrick Hoban through on goal but one on one with Barry Murphy the goalkeeper did well to stop.

Daniel Cleary took matters into his own hands when he shot from all of 35 yards but it flew over the bar.

Duffy was slipped in well by Hoban however his shot was dragged just wide from inside the area before Hoban glanced a wonderful header goalwards from Duffy’s cross however it was just wide of the post.

Pat’s had their first opportunity when James Doona had a shot blocked by Gary Rogers while at the other end John Mountney was the next to have a go but he dragged his shot wide from 20 yards.

Benson then fired from 30 yards however it went wide also and Sean Hoare’s header was straight at Murphy from Duffy’s cross.

Duffy once more found himself in the right place to shoot but again it was wide of the target while Duffy provided Hoban with the chance but once more the finishing let him down.

That proved to be the final action of note of a dominant first half from the Lilywhites.

Dundalk would break the deadlock in the opening moments of the second half and it was Hoban who will take credit for it because it was his shot from 20 yards that took a wicked deflection from Kevin Toner and past Murphy.

It was almost 2-0 immediately after when Dean Jarvis’ perfect cross found the head of Duffy however he struck the crossbar.

Ronan Murray then had a shot blocked by Murphy brilliantly however it wouldn’t be long until it was the second and it was Hoban again. This time Duffy ventured forward and shot with his left foot however it fell to the number 9 and he slotted to the net.

Duffy had a curling shot after a superb through ball from Murray however it was inches wide of the target before Pat’s almost pulled one back when Keegan shot from the edge of the area but it went over the bar.

Mountney was the next to provide for Hoban however he shot straight at Murphy however Muray managed to get the goal that his performance deserved when Hoban laid it off to him expertly and his shot was high into the roof of the net.

Hoban, on a hat-trick, but his chipped effort was into the arms of Murphy.

Rogers was forced into his first action of the second half as he tipped an excellent Lee Desmond effort around the post from 30 yards while at the other end Sean Hoare found himself through on goal however his shot was saved.

The Lilywhites would get the fourth and Duffy, who was electric all evening, got the goal which capped his performance. He received the ball well 30 yards from goal before advancing forward to the edge of the area before teeing himself up brilliantly. His curling shot was pinpoint and went in off the crossbar giving Murphy no chance.

The next chance the Lilywhites got it was 5-0 when Duffy did supremely well to get to the by line after linking up well with Jarvis and he pulled it back for the waiting Jamie McGrath and he finished to the net.

That proved to be the final action as Stephen Kenny’s men produced a five star performance to get back to winning ways.

DUNDALK: Gary Rogers; Sean Hoare, Daniel Cleary, Brian Gartland, Dean Jarvis; Robbie Benson (Chris Shields 80), Stephen O’Donnell (capt); John Mountney, Ronan Murray, Michael Duffy; Patrick Hoban (Sam Byrne 73) (Jamie McGrath 77)

Substitutes not used: Gabriel Sava (GK), Krisztián Adorján, Dane Massey, Dylan Connolly.

Booked: Cleary (85)

Sent off: None.

ST. PATRICK’S ATHLETIC: Barry Murphy; Simon Madden, Kevin Toner, Lee Desmond, Ian Bermingham (capt); James Doona, Jamie Lennon, Darragh Markey, Graham Kelly (Michael Leahy 73), Dean Clarke (Conan Byrne 76); Jake Keegan (Thomas Byrne 69).

Substitutes not used: Brian Maher (GK), Michael Barker,  Killian Brennan, Ian Turner.

Booked: None.

Sent off: None.

Referee: Paul McLaughlin.

Attendance: 2,086.