FyffesOfficial Sponsor
SbobetDundalk Credit UnionStatsports

Second Half Goals Seal Win

Match Report
// 7 Oct 2017

Dundalk were 2-0 winners over Finn Harps on Saturday evening at Finn Park.

Second half goals from skipper Brian Gartland and Jamie McGrath gave the champions all three points in difficult conditions in Ballybofey.

It was a scrappy first half but Dundalk started on the front foot and Ciaran Gallagher denied Tommy Stewart from the edge of the area after Dylan Connolly did well on the right hand side.

Connolly proved menacing once more as he crossed for the arriving Robbie Benson however his header flashed just wide of the right hand post.

Eddie Dsane should have put Harps in front when Brian Gartland and Gary Rogers got mixed up which let the striker in however he slipped as he struck and the ball went wide.

Carlton Ubaezuonu found himself through on goal but his shot was well saved by Gallagher while at the other end Paddy McCourt volleyed well over the bar from 30 yards just before the break.

Sean Gannon nearly gave the Lilywhites the lead immediately after the re-start when his driven effort from the right hand side but it was well palmed away by Gallagher. Stewart’s follow up was smothered well by the goalkeeper.

Dundalk were pushing forward and introduced both Stephen O’Donnell and David McMillan in search of that lead goal.

It came with 25 minutes left on the watch when McGrath powered forward and saw his shot from 30 yards deflected wide. He took the corner himself and found the head of centre-half Gartland and he got enough on it to send it out of the reach of Gallagher to the net.

The Lilywhites then killed the game somewhat but were almost pegged back when Killian Cantwell headed towards goal but it was palmed away by Gary Rogers to safety.

Final substitute Michael Duffy almost made it 2-0 in the final minute of the 90 when he got his head on the end of O’Donnell’s diagonal ball however Gallagher did well to push it over the crossbar.

The points eventually were made safe with the final kick of the game as McMillan rose highest to flick the ball in to McGrath and his delightful chip beat Gallagher and found the net to seal a hard fought victory in Donegal.