FyffesOfficial Sponsor
Sbobet Dundalk Credit Union Statsports

St. Pats 2-1 Dundalk: Match Report!

First Team News
// 17 Feb 2014

Dundalk crashed out of the Leinster Senior Cup on Monday evening going down 2-1 to St. Patrick’s Athletic at Richmond Park!

Keith Fahey gave the home side the lead on the hour mark through a wonderful free-kick while David McMillan equalised 10 minutes later. Daryl Kavanagh found the net with just under 20 minutes remaining and that proved to be the winner in an entertaining clash between last season’s top 2!

It was the visitors who began the brightest and should have scored in the opening minutes. A wonderful ball from Ruaidhri Higgins found Richie Towell on the right and his cross was met by David McMillan but somehow Brendan Clarke saved from close range.

Dundalk threatened again when Daryl Horgan shot from just outside the box but it was saved again by Clarke. St. Pat’s had their first effort on goal through Chris Forrester after a scramble in the box but he skewed wide from 6 yards.

McMillan had another effort saved by Clarke and from the follow up it is a mystery of Patrick Hoban managed to shoot wide despite being less than 6 yards from goal.

The Lilywhites were on top and Towell had a shot gathered by the Pat’s ‘keeper before Simon Kelly headed wide from a corner.

Towell brought a good save out of Clarke on the stroke of half-time as his free-kick from 35 yards was brilliantly tipped over by the goalkeeper.

A competitive first half came to an end with both sides scoreless.

The second half began with the hosts looking more threatening and Forrester brought an excellent save from Cherrie with a dangerous shot which went out for a corner.

It wasn’t long until Pat’s took the lead and it came after Daryl Kavanagh was brought down 25 yards from goal by Simon Kelly. Up stepped the returning Keith Fahey and his stunning strike hit the underside of the crossbar and crept into the net past the reach of Cherrie.

The Lilywhites responded brilliantly and won a free-kick on the edge of the box when Kurtis Byrne was fouled but Towell’s drilled effort was deflected wide.

Moments later Stephen Kenny’s men got the equaliser they deserved when a pin point pass from Kurtis Byrne found McMillan on the shoulder of Kenny Browne and he took a touch before calmly slotted home past Clarke.

The Saints went back in front when a swift move down the left finished when Forrester crossed for Kavanagh and his powerful shot found the net past Cherrie.

Towell then shot wildly over the bar from 40 yards before John Mountney had a shot blocked from the edge of the box.

Kelly headed just wide following a series of corners as the rain pelted down in the final 25 minutes with the players struggling with the conditions.

Towell had another shot go wide in injury-time and referee Neil Doyle blew the final whistle after 4 added minutes as the Saints progress to the next round!

ST. PATRICK’S ATHLETIC: Brendan Clarke; Ger O’Brien (c), Kenny Brown, Ken Oman, Ian Bermingham; Greg Bolger(Conor McCormack 82), Lee Lynch(Christy Fagan 59); Conan Byrne, Keith Fahey(James Chambers 75), Christopher Forrester; Daryl Kavanagh.

Substitutes not used: Derek Foran, Sean Hoare,  Peter Durrad, Rene Gilmartin(GK).

Booked: Lynch (44), Kavanagh (74).

Sent off:None.

DUNDALK: Peter Cherrie; Sean Gannon(John Mountney 57), Mark Rossiter, Simon Kelly, Dane Massey; Stephen O’Donnell (c), Ruaidhri Higgins(Darren Meenan 82); Daryl Horgan, Richie Towell, David McMillan; Patrick Hoban(Kurtis Byrne 64).

Substitutes not used: Mark Griffin, Ciaran O’Connor, Gabriel Sava (GK).

Booked: Towell(5), McMillan(27), Higgins (64)

Sent off: None.

Referee: Neil Doyle