For privacy reasons YouTube needs your permission to be loaded. For more details, please see our PRIVACY POLICY.
I Accept

Match Report

Dundalk were thumped 5-0 by Sligo Rovers in the SSE Airtricity Men’s Premier Division at Oriel Park, conceding four first-half goals.

Ellis Chapman set The Bit O’Red – who were without a win on the road since 1 May – on their way inside seven minutes and that lead was soon doubled through Fabrice Hartmann.

Dundalk showed little threat and Sligo added two more before the break through Chapman and Max Mata, the latter adding a fifth in the second half on a night to forget for Stephen O’Donnell and his players.

For the game, O’Donnell brought Paul Doyle and Cami Elliott into the side for Ryan O’Kane and Jamie Gullan, who both dropped to the bench.

Despite playing into driving wind and rain, Sligo started the brighter. They took the lead when Hartmann’s through-ball was latched onto by Mata, and he laid off to Chapman who fired under the stranded George Shelvey.

It got worse for Dundalk before the quarter-hour when Hartmann tried his luck from distance, and it paid off as Shelvey fumbled the ball into the net having initially appeared to have saved it.

In terrible conditions, Dundalk were struggling to create, and they fell further behind in the 33rd minute. Oliver Denham slid in Mata, who was challenged by Andy Boyle, but Chapman picked up possession and fired in from a tight angle.

Before half time, it was 4-0. A punt forward was not dealt with by Boyle and Mata took advantage, his strike deflecting off the Dundalk defender and beyond the reach of Shelvey.

Prior to that goal, O’Donnell had made a double substitution with the introductions of Hayden Muller and Sam Durrant, and there were two more changes at the break as Ross Munro and Louie Annesley (concussion sub) entered.

Sligo remained on the front foot in the second half, but Dundalk almost pulled one back on 58 minutes when Durrant raced in behind, but Ed McGinty denied him.

Past the hour mark, Sligo added a fifth on the break as Chapman picked out Mata who finished clinically to the bottom corner.

On 74 minutes, Munro denied Sligo another with a fine save as he got across to tip JR Wilson’s free-kick behind before making another save following the corner.

Dundalk were glad to finally hear the full-time whistle and now must prepare for a trip to face Saint Patrick’s Athletic at Richmond Park on Friday.

DUNDALK FC: George Shelvey (Ross Munro HT), Archie Davies, Mayowa Animasahun (Louie Annesley HT), Andy Boyle, Jamie Walker (Hayden Muller 37), Paul Doyle, Zak Bradshaw (Sam Durrant 37), Scott High, Robbie Benson (Jamie Gullan 64), Daryl Horgan, Cami Elliott (Ciaran McGuckin 64). Subs not used: Koen Oostenbrink, Ryan O’Kane, Zak Johnson.

SLIGO ROVERS: Ed McGinty, JR Wilson (Charlie Wiggett 83), Oliver Denham, Nando Pijnaker, Reece Hutchinson (Stefan Radosavljevic 71), Connor Malley (Owen Elding 71), Niall Morahan, Fabrice Hartmann, Ellis Chapman (Kailan Barlow 63), Will Fitzgerald, Max Mata (Wilson Waweru 63). Subs not used: Richard Brush (GK), Simon Power, Kyle McDonagh, Conor Reynolds.

REFEREE: Marc Lynch.


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Dundalk FC000
Sligo Rovers415


Date Time League Season
March 4, 2024 7:45 pm Premier Division 2024 League of Ireland