Dundalk FC 0-0 Waterford FC

By |2024-03-16T00:37:52+00:00March 15, 2024|Comments Off on Dundalk FC 0-0 Waterford FC


For privacy reasons YouTube needs your permission to be loaded. For more details, please see our PRIVACY POLICY.
I Accept

Match Report

Dundalk were denied a late penalty as they were forced to settle for a 0-0 draw with Waterford in the SSE Airtricity Men’s Premier Division at Oriel Park on Friday night.

Goalkeeper Sam Sargeant was heroic for the newly-promoted Blues, producing three top-class saves, but Ross Munro also showed his clear quality with a brilliant, confident display.

It was a well-contested match, much better than the end scoreline suggests, with Dundalk on the front foot from the get-go, and early efforts on goal from Robbie Benson, Ciaran McGuckin and Sam Durrant.

Waterford were the first to create a clear opening, though, Connor Parsons’ delicious left-wing delivery finding Padraig Amond who, from point-blank range, was denied by a super Munro save.

Sargeant pulled off an even better stop from the lively Durrant before Munro was at it again to keep his side level at the break.

Both teams went in search of a winner in the second half. Dundalk thought their first victory of the season might be on the way on 86 minutes when sub Cami Elliott – who had earlier seen a strike beaten away by Sargeant – went down in the box but, to the amazement of the home support and bench, the referee booked him for diving.

For the game, Stephen O’Donnell made two changes to the team that lost 1-0 at Saint Patrick’s Athletic last week as Zak Johnson came in for his debut to replace the injured Andy Boyle while Durrant was chosen ahead of Daryl Horgan, who was on the bench. Louie Annesley was named captain for the night.

Backed by a vocal support, Dundalk started well. When Waterford did threaten, Johnson showed plenty of pace up against the excellent Parsons, a good first impression from the Sunderland loanee.

The hosts were making the running, though, and in the fifth minute, Benson unleashed a rising strike from distance which was pushed behind by Sargeant. Soon after, McGuckin found space for a similar-range shot and this time Sargeant got behind a low effort.

On the quarter-hour, Hayden Muller did well to put Maleace Asamoah off in the box after the Waterford No11 looked, momentarily, like he may only have Munro to beat.

Munro was called into action on 23 minutes, his stunning save denying Amond from close range after Parsons’ perfect cross.

After a break in play for treatment to Jamie Gullan, Dundalk came alive. On 35 minutes, Durrant got in on the left of the area and drove a powerful shot which was turned away by Sargeant, before, three minutes later, the winger flashed an effort just past the top corner.

In between those, Dundalk assistant boss Patrick Cregg received a red card after a touchline bust-up with Waterford left-back Ryan Burke.

Before the interval, Munro came to the rescue again when Barry Baggley got in behind Johnson, but a heavy touch helped the Dundalk ‘keeper as he closed the Blues captain down to make another fine stop.

Early in the second half, Archie Davies went on a marauding run deep into the visiting half and, from outside the box, fired agonisingly off target.

Both sides were looking for all three points and there were chances at both ends, the final pass or end product letting them down.

In search of the elusive opener and probable winner in front of the 2,243 crowd, O’Donnell called on Horgan, Elliott and Ryan O’Kane on 67 minutes – Elliott entering for Gullan who was unable to continue after picking up an injury following a collision in the box.

On 78 minutes, Horgan slipped in Elliott who was cool and calm before picking his moment to strike but Sargeant pulled off the save of the night. The visiting ‘keeper was in the way again five minutes from time, pushing away O’Kane’s effort.

Moments later, Dundalk were denied what they felt was a definite penalty when Elliott went down in the box, referee Kevin O’Sullivan blowing his whistle but then proceeding to book the Scot, leading to loud protests from Lilywhites crowd and bench.

That decision lifted the volume at Oriel Park but, ultimately, O’Donnell’s men could not force a way through as they picked up their first home point of the season.

DUNDALK FC: Ross Munro, Archie Davies, Louie Annesley, Zak Johnson, Hayden Muller, Scott High, Zak Bradshaw, Ciaran McGuckin (Ryan O’Kane 67), Robbie Benson (Daryl Horgan 67), Sam Durrant (Robbie Mahon 77), Jamie Gullan (Cami Elliott 67). Subs not used: Seán Molloy (GK), Koen Oostenbrink, Mayowa Animasahun, Paul Doyle, John Mountney.

WATERFORD FC: Sam Sargeant, Grant Horton, Kacper Radkowski, Robbie McCourt, Ryan Burke, Barry Baggley (Niall O’Keeffe 75), Rowan McDonald, Maleace Asamoah (Connor Evans 82), Harvey Macadam (Romeo Akachukwu 73), Connor Parsons, Padraig Amond. Subs not used: Matt Connor (GK), Ben McCormack, Gbemi Arubi, Dean McMenamy, Joseph Forde, Kacper Skwierczynski.

REFEREE: Kevin O’Sullivan.


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Dundalk FC000
Waterford FC000


Date Time League Season
March 15, 2024 7:45 pm Premier Division 2024 League of Ireland

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!